Thursday, March 4, 2010

Chocolate Wontons + Video

Chocolate Wonton Recipe
Photo from The Steamy Kitchen Cookbook

My blog would not be complete without mention of one of my kids’ favorite dessert in the whole wide world, Chocolate Wontons. In fact, the site serves as my family’s visual menu of sorts, my kids will click through the site and point at dishes they want to have for dinner. Which is why you don’t see any photos of McDonald’s, Burger King or Bob Evans, the chain restaurant that serves the world’s best gummable food — hey, I live in Florida where 45% of the population is old, retired or have no teeth.

But, I digress. Where was I? Oh yes, chocolate.

You can get all fancy and put your favorite, most expensive dark chocolate truffle in the middle of these wontons. The combo of the sweet sprinkle the powder sugar, crackly crisp fried wonton skin and the warm, melty, oozing chocolate will send you straight to blissdom.

Or, go ghetto like us and just stick a piece of Hershey’s Kiss in there and call it “The Bestest Dessert In the Whole Wide World” according to my kids.

The recipe is flexible, if you really can call a recipe. I’ve adapted this fried wonton dessert for Thanksgiving with Sweet Pumpkin Fried Wontons and even made them with strawberry preserves topped with whipped cream for Mother’s Day. The lovely members of The Daring Kitchen even made them!

Want to know how to make Chocolate Wontons? Watch the short video!

Chocolate Wontons Recipe

from The Steamy Kitchen Cookbook

1 egg
1 tablespoon water
12 wonton wrappers, defrosted (keep wrappers covered with damp towel)
12 pieces or nuggets of chocolate
Vegetable oil
Confectioners’ sugar, for sprinkling

In a small bowl, whisk together the egg and water to make an egg wash. On a clean, dry surface, lay one wrapper down with a point toward you, like a diamond. Place one piece of chocolate near the top end of the wrapper. Brush a very thin layer of the egg wash on the edges of the wrapper. Fold the bottom corner of the wrapper up to create a triangle and gently press to remove all air from the middle. Press the edges to adhere the sides. Make sure the wrapper is sealed completely. Repeat with the remaining wrappers and chocolate pieces. Keep the folded chocolate wontons covered under plastic wrap or a damp paper towel to prevent them from drying.

In a wok or medium pot, pour in two inches of oil. Heat the oil to 350°F (180°C) and gently slide a few of the chocolate wontons into the hot oil. Make sure you don’t crowd the chocolate wontons too much. Fry 1 1/2 minutes, then flip and fry another minute until both sides are golden brown and crisp.

59 Responses to “Chocolate Wontons + Video”

1. Alta — 3/4/10 @ 9:47 am

See, I love these wonton creations! I just need to make my own gluten-free wontons (which is why I haven’t made anything wonton…) and I’d be in business!

2. joey — 3/4/10 @ 10:14 am

I love it! So simple and I can already imagine just how delicious!

3. afoodobsession — 3/4/10 @ 10:29 am

duh….why haven’t i ever done this?? my kids will love this!! the’re Chinese AND love chocolate, what a wonderful pairing! thx for the post!!!

4. Lynn — 3/4/10 @ 10:38 am

My kids do the same thing – surf through the blog and say, “Hey, can we have this for dinner?” Unfortunately, since my blog is 85% desserts, that doesn’t always work. I just got a fryer (deep fat fried trouble!), so now I have no excuse not to try these babies (like I needed one). Thanks!

5. Grapefruit — 3/4/10 @ 11:06 am

Holy Yum!
    My kids would completely love these. I wonder if it would work with Nutella?

6. Angie — 3/4/10 @ 1:16 pm

This looks so good and easy, I love them and so will my son, he only likes sweets and candy that’s chocolate.

7. cindy — 3/4/10 @ 1:56 pm

oooooh, looks so yummy!

8. Nick — 3/4/10 @ 2:46 pm

Looks great to me! I might try it with strawberries and chocolate… like a chocolate dipped strawberry wonton deal.

Thanks for the idea!

9. Amanda — 3/4/10 @ 3:15 pm

they had (have?) treats like these at the Italian restaurant chain called Macaroni Grill… but fried ravioli… with I *think* Snickers bars inside. To die for! I don’t know why I never thought to make the dessert ravioli out of wonton wrappers, because I’ve made regular ravioli out of them before! mystery solved!

10. Big boys Oven — 3/4/10 @ 3:35 pm

simple amd yet delicious! :)

11. Anh — 3/4/10 @ 5:16 pm

This dessert is so you, Jaden!

Oh I was at the bookstore yesterday and I saw your book on display. I was like “huh, I “know” that pretty lady”. The book is on my shelf now, yay!

12. linda — 3/4/10 @ 6:05 pm

These look awesome! What more is there to say … I’m making them!

13. Pingback: Wedding Cakes – How To Choose The Right One | Affordable Wedding Dresses

14. I wish to see the fillings instead. Liquid?

15. Oh my…these look delicious!!! Can’t wait to try it!

16. Jayne — 3/5/10 @ 12:22 am

I have a feeling puff pastry would work as well… in the oven :-).
    Tomorrow, I’m so gonna try peanut butter (oh.. and maybe choc inside too!) in puff pastry for breakfast. Getting really tired of Jam & bread. Thanks for this!

17. sharon — 3/5/10 @ 1:35 am

your kids are so lucky! Chocolate wontons are not anything I’ve ever had the pleasure of experiencing, but hopefully that will change soon!

18. Visual menu for sure! I think pretty much all food blogs are a sort of visual menu :). Nice idea subbing a savory filling for chocolate. Looks like the chocolate melted into a nice pocket shape.

19. Oh, wonton is a versatile wrapper! It’s good for kids in the afternoon, but I love to go with liquor after supper :)

20. Tracy — 3/5/10 @ 7:47 am

Oh, these look so good. Just thinking about all my favorite candy bars that could be encased and fried.

21. Pingback: Chocolate Wonton Recipe

22. Stella — 3/5/10 @ 10:06 am

Hi Jaden, these look decadent, and I love how easy the recipe is.

23. megan — 3/5/10 @ 10:37 am

Did some say fried wontons? With chocolate? O yea! I’m on this one!

24. Mike — 3/5/10 @ 12:57 pm

I have been making these for a few years. I will also add to the chocolate, coconut , peanut butter, jam etc. They are great if you have company over. Just let everyone choose what they want to add or not and then fry up their own concoction.

25. foodcrazee — 3/5/10 @ 1:27 pm

sounds interesting . . .will make some for me kids. . ..

26. Heather — 3/6/10 @ 2:00 am

We make these with a spoonful of Nutella inside, to die for!!! Or really chunky Jam and sprinkle with powdered sugar, the easiest (fancy looking) desserts ever!

27. Divina — 3/6/10 @ 8:35 am

I’m certain that my nephew would absolutely love this. But still good enough for a dinner party.

28. Milisa — 3/6/10 @ 12:12 pm

I am so making these today!! What great ideas you have. Love your site.

29. meeso — 3/6/10 @ 12:15 pm

Hey, aren’t these in your book? I love that book :P I’ve been wanting to try these!

30. Maria — 3/6/10 @ 2:00 pm

I have made these with Nutella-sooooo good!

31. Tawny A — 3/6/10 @ 5:08 pm

I love making these too! I fill mine with Nutella and white chocolate chips!

32. Pingback: » Saturday Surfing with Marye

33. Pam — 3/7/10 @ 3:12 pm

I have never heard of this but it looks and sounds delicious! Just wish I had one right now! Yum!

34. Noro — 3/7/10 @ 6:10 pm

Hi Jade,
    I was wondering if the result would be the same if instead of frying the wontons, I bake them.

35. Veron — 3/7/10 @ 7:54 pm

Now this sounds like a fantastic dessert!

36. Asianmommy — 3/7/10 @ 8:38 pm

Looks delicious!

37. Tokyo Terrace — 3/8/10 @ 12:25 am

I love these! When Brad and I were in college, he used to make fried wontons filled with chocolate and peanut butter for our “romantic dinners” :) These take me right back to those early days…

A few weeks ago I made guacamole filled wontons for the Super Bowl. Yum yum yum! Sweet and savory options galore!

38. Sooooo easy!

No excuse, I need to make these tonight – maybe now for breakfast.

39. Doc — 3/8/10 @ 10:17 pm

They look fantastic; chocolate and deep fried goodness. What’s not to like?

40. Cade Long — 3/9/10 @ 12:26 am

Those chocolate wontons were delicious! Thank you so much for posting it!

Cade

41. BNDQ8 — 3/11/10 @ 11:59 am

wow..really nice recipe..i never thought of it!! will surly give it a try this weekend :)

42. Pingback: Organic Chocolate Wonton Recipe- an Original Article at the Natural Food List

43. rita — 3/14/10 @ 10:15 am

how easy is that? i wontons quite a bit, but never thought of making it as a dessert. don’t know why. but now, i’ll just have to make some.

44. hena tayeb — 3/16/10 @ 12:22 pm

oh yum!

45. jessica gensmer — 3/16/10 @ 3:55 pm

i have made these once, like 2 years ago. i used Nutella and a bit of banana. A-mazing!!
    Yours are more simple however and look cheaper and much easier if you have a 3 year old who insists on “cooking with mama”:)

46. This are wonderful and so simple! I love having wontons and phyllo on hand for just these kinds of inspiration. Great video too, Jaden.

47. Courtney — 3/21/10 @ 11:51 am

Oooh sounds scrumptious! :)

48. Cheryl — 5/31/10 @ 10:43 pm

I just made these and they were every bit as good as they looked! Thanks for sharing this recipe. My head is reeling with all the possible “fillers” to us next time! But the chocolate was a huge hit with my son and my husband. We’ll be making these again and again over the days ahead.

49. Xinmei — 9/13/10 @ 6:13 pm

These are so simple to make, I will definitely be trying these! I’ve always wanted to combine chocolate and Chinese food :)

50. Chaya — 10/26/10 @ 10:56 pm

I made these and could not stop eating them. Despite the fact, I could do without the calories, I am making them again. Jaden gave us a winner, as usual.