Sunday, July 27, 2008

Pan Fried Pork and Shrimp Potstickers

Pan Fried Pork and Shrimp Potstickers

In college, my friends and I used to get together once a month and have “Chinese Potsticker” parties. The kitchen would be prepped to create 3 big batches of Chinese potsticker filling and the dining table would be converted to our potsticker wrapping session.

We’d make hundreds of Chinese Potstickers. A small batch to enjoy that evening and the rest of the potstickers go straight to the freezer for my friends to take home. They were soooo fabulous and it was our girly-bonding time.

These days, it’s not my girlfriends who come over to pleat dumplings, but my little kids sit at the table wrapping the potstickers with Mommy. Love it!

Chinese Potstickers are really simple to make, and there are a few secrets that I’ll share with you.

How to pleat potsticker dumplings

I’m piecing together several photos of dumpling making from different cooking sessions, so you’ll have to excuse the inconsistent photo quality. Not to mention, these photos were from last year, before I learned how to use my camera’s basic fuction, like FOCUS. ;-)

These photos were taken when I handmade the dumpling wrapper – a feat that while delicious – to me is not worth the trouble, which is why I’ve not posted this before! The handmade wrappers are thicker than what you’d buy at the store.

Pleating potstickers

Spoon about 1 teaspsoon of filling in the middle of the wrapper. Use your finger to brush the cornstarch slurry all around the outer edge of the dumpling to act as your “glue” to hold the potsticker together.

Pleating potstickers

Bring up opposite sides and pinch the dumpling wrapper in the middle.

Pleating potstickers

You’ll only be pleating the upper half of the potsticker. In this photo, all my pleats will be made on the upper half of the potsticker.

Start with your right side. Hold the potsticker in your hand. Fold and pleat as shown above. Pinch tight. You’ll do 3 pleats just like this on the right side. Then repeat on the other side, but in the opposite direction, so that all your pleats are pointing towards the center. See how my pleat points towards the center? This creates a crescent effect. The next time I make potstickers, I’ll have to take a few more photos, because it’s easier to learn by photos than in words.

Pleating potstickers

Pinch all pleats tight – there should be no open spaces, otherwise your filling will fall out.

Making potstickers

Now fry the potstickers in batches (read my instructions below in the recipe)

Sidenote:

While my potsticker recipe below does not call for cabbage, if you do want to include cabbage in your dumpling, make sure you salt the cabbage, let it sit for 15 minutes and squeeze all the water out of the cabbage. Watery cabbage = soggy dumplings. Look how much water comes out after 15 minutes of salting:

Squeeze out water

The salt draws out the water. For every handful of shredded cabbage, use about 1 teaspoon of kosher salt (1/2 tsp table salt), mix well, let sit for 15 minutes at room temp. Place salted cabbage in cheesecloth and squeeze water out. You could also just do this in your hands too, if you don’t have cheesecloth.

Pan Fried Shrimp and Pork Potsticker Recipe

Serves 6-8

1 package of frozen dumpling skins, defrosted overnight in refrigerator or 40 minutes room temp (do not microwave or set in water)
3/4 pound raw shrimp, shelled and deveined
3 stalks green onions, cut into 2 inch sections
1/2 cup canned bamboo shoots
1/2 pound ground pork
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
1 tablespoon rice wine (or dry sherry)
for the slurry: 1 tablespoon cornstarch mixed with 1/4 cup water in a small bowl
water
cooking oil

Dipping Sauce
1 teaspoon Asian chili sauce
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 teaspoon sesame oil
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon rice wine vinegar

Wash the shrimp and pat very dry. In a food processor, add the shrimp, green onions, bamboo shoots and pulse several times until the shrimp is chopped to about 1/4 inch. In a large bowl, combine the shrimp mixture with ground pork, soy sauce, salt, cornstarch, ginger, rice wine. Mix well.

Spoon 1 teaspoon of the filling onto dumpling skin. Brush a bit of the cornstarch slurry
all around the edge of the dumpling skin. Fold over and press to secure edges. Make sure edges are sealed tightly. Shape the dumpling so that it has a flat bottom. Cover loosely with plastic wrap so that it doesn’t dry out.

When you are ready to cook, heat a large nonstick pan with 1 tablespoon of cooking oil over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot but not smoking, add the dumplings, flat side down, not touching, to the pan. Let fry for 1 minute until the bottoms are light golden brown. Pour 1/4 cup of water into the pan and immediately cover with a tight fitting lid. Turn heat to medium and let the dumplings steam for 3minutes. Open lid and let the remaining liquid cook off about 1 minute. Cut into a dumpling to make sure that the filling is cooked through. Remove to plate, wipe the pan clean with paper towels (or wash) and repeat with remaining dumplings. Serve with dipping sauce.

***

Still hungry?

Chinese Pastries with Hoisin Chicken

Con Your Kids to Eat Vegetables, Steamy-Style

Ground Beef with Beijing Sauce Over Noodles

Stir Fried Shrimp, Eggs and Peas + Stir Fry Secrets

Xiao Long Bao – Steamed Shanghai Soup Dumplings

Wonton Noodle Soup

95 Responses to “Pan Fried Pork and Shrimp Potstickers”

1. jules — 7/27/08 @ 10:56 am

Hey Jaden, we share a birthday! 08-08-08, how about that; we are so lucky!

Dumpling-pleating lesson most comprehensive, thank you! I love how the pleating from opposite ends to the centre creates that curve, so pretty. I think even my fumble-fingers could handle that. Now, see, I adore anythng dumpling & yum cha-ish, but since I’m G-Free most of it’s out [cue tears & wails]. Any ideas what yum cha items are non-wheat-flour based [I bet har gau aren't amongst them & oh I love them so ... ]; also any chance of a recipe for homemade dumpling wrappers involving rice flour/tapioca flour? Should be possible … I know a lot of the Thai dumplings are made with gluten free flours to get the transparency effect.

Many thanks!

2. Kiki — 7/27/08 @ 11:04 am

Gorgeous! It almost makes me believe I could do this.

Alas I don’t quite have the confidence.

I’ll keep drooling though.

3. Kitt — 7/27/08 @ 11:08 am

Love love love potstickers/jiaozi. They’re always best as a group endeavor, being so labor-intensive, so I think of them as party food. I wish I had learned the technique of pleating them so the seam looks like a wheat stalk. It was always the grannies who knew how to do that.

Also: In “my camera’s basic fuction” you forgot the “k.”

4. Elaine — 7/27/08 @ 11:21 am

Thanks for sharing with us on how to pleat potstickers :D I’m always fumbling with my gaozis and more often than not, they taste better than they look! LOL. But yours, they make me crave dimsum *drools*

5. TikiPundit — 7/27/08 @ 11:48 am

Kiki, I don’t know — if I did it, anyone can. Practice makes perfect, too, but even the ugly ones still tasted good!

Jaden, yes, more pictures please. Your photography is good, and instructive on top of that? Yes, more is mo’ bettah.

6. courtney — 7/27/08 @ 11:55 am

Never knew that about salting the cabbage. Great tip.I went crazy in Chinatown yesterday. I need to see what I can cook up fronm the recipe tasting now.

7. Gavin — 7/27/08 @ 12:11 pm

I didn’t know that about salting the cabbage, either (also?…whatever). I’ve wound up with some pretty juicy won tons and such, guess I know why now. Thanks for the tip! My wife and I will have to give these a whirl. We’ve always loved the frozen-out-of-a-bag sort.

8. cindy — 7/27/08 @ 12:11 pm

awww, that was a sweet story about the returning soldier. i know that feeling…i’m a Marine mom.

9. daphne — 7/27/08 @ 12:36 pm

I agree that the step by step instructions are really helpful. Great 1st photo btw.

10. Erin — 7/27/08 @ 12:39 pm

Thanks for the pleating tips! I always need extra help when it comes to the food “beautification” process.

11. Natalie Sztern — 7/27/08 @ 12:52 pm

Jaden, how did u know i looooove dumplings. usually i use a perogi mold to dimple my dumplings closed but i will try this because i have been dying to learn how to pleat….i also got goosebumps when i read about the surprise visit…how does she let him go again?

12. Cathlyn A. Pozdol — 7/27/08 @ 1:40 pm

Hi. Just wanted to let yuo know that I love your “column.” (emails)

Love your sense of humor. You are very funny! *s*

Cathy Pozdol
    Miami, Florida

13. Paula — 7/27/08 @ 2:32 pm

That is such a wonderful story! What a great surprise for Lynne … the best kind of surprise! Every time I eat a potsticker, I’ll think of this. Great post.

14. Bebett — 7/27/08 @ 5:14 pm

Ahh, didn’t know about salting cabbage either. Thanks for the tip. Went to a dumpling making and folding session with a friend and had so much fun. They, however, steamed the dumplings separately before pan-frying/steaming them. What’s the difference?

15. SteamyKitchen — 7/27/08 @ 5:18 pm

Bebett – more work?! ;-)

16. Barbarainnc — 7/27/08 @ 6:57 pm

Potstickers are my favorite, thanks for the recipe and photos to show how to pleat them. A lady gave me some Chinese Chives plants, now I can make some potstickers. Thanks again for a great web site, can’t wait to get your cookbook!!! :) :) :) :)

17. veron — 7/27/08 @ 7:27 pm

hmmmn… now you have me craving dumplings!!

18. Krizia — 7/27/08 @ 7:30 pm

The more I read your blog, the more jealous I am of your life! I wish I had time to pleat dumplings. I’m glad that you said homemade wrappers aren’t worth the effort. Pleating store-bought wrappers are more do-able for me :D

19. meeso — 7/27/08 @ 7:34 pm

Oh, Potstickers…. My favorite! I can’t wait to try these, I am trying these soon for sure!

20. Joanne — 7/27/08 @ 9:05 pm

Oh my lord! Those photos bring back so many memories for me. My parents spent hours making the wrapper dough, then filling them. I still can’t make the pleats as nice as my mom. My brother had the easy job of flattening the dough balls, then my dad would roll them out, as my mom and I filled. Thank goodness for premade wrappers now. We usually have two or three bags of homemade postickers in the freezer at any given time. Since I have a side by side refrigerator, I always made an effort to clear out the top shelf and used small cookie sheets covered with parchment or wax paper and dusted with cornstarch to freeze single layers of potstickers, then transferring them after frozen into freezer bags. I taught a friend how to make them too, and she has a very large deep freezer, which made it easier to lay full jelly roll pans in to freeze. We use Napa cabbage, and cut the leaves into ribbons then salt. I don’t remember this, but once my dad went to Pier 39 and caught fresh crab. My mom used them to make potstickers. I made them myself a few years ago. Oh so yummy!

21. Carrie Hasson — 7/28/08 @ 1:31 am

Oh my goodness, you totally have me all teared up over here! It’s far too late at night (i mean early in the morning) for this! I remember Lynne from your photo food class. We chatted about her husband and man, I am so happy for her, for them! 11 months is a LOOONG time…what a fantastic awesome surprise. The best part is someone capturing that special moment on film.

Ok, these dumplings look delicious! Love the new series, I think my kiddos are way overdue for a homecooked meal and one of these new recipes is calling my name!

22. noobcook — 7/28/08 @ 3:06 am

these dumplings are beautiful … I almost want to reach into my monitor and grab a piece :D

23. lisa — 7/28/08 @ 6:09 am

I too am GF and would love the recipe for homemade dumpling wrappers…just returned from Asia myself and had to pass up on such treats.

24. luyanghapon — 7/28/08 @ 7:53 am

great timing! i just made this 2 days in a row- my kids loved the recipe i used, but i will definitely try this with the pleating and all. i made it the easy way…folded in half-moon shape. thanks steamy!

25. tigerfish — 7/28/08 @ 9:19 am

Yeh, what a good cabbage tip :D

26. Lucy — 7/28/08 @ 11:58 am

Pretty dumplings, Jaden! They look great!

27. Looks great. And good tips on how to form the dumplings, thanks. I made some pot stickers recently too. And the story of the veteran returning home was quite touching!

28. sharon — 7/28/08 @ 12:45 pm

What a sweet story! It’s a good thing you gave such a happy & accommodating response. Can you imagine if you had said, “no!” haha.

The pot stickers look amazing and you know, I’ve always pleated both sides but now I see that pleating one looks much better!

29. JustNancy — 7/28/08 @ 4:36 pm

That homemade dumpling skin might have been time consuming, but the shots of it are just beautiful! I love the skins homemade. They have that toothy, rough resiliency that I miss when I make dumplings with the frozen stack stuff. But to have them with homemade skins means I’d have to go back to living with the Moms…yikes.

30. matt wright — 7/28/08 @ 5:35 pm

Awesome stuff – a great photo and great little tutorial!

31. Susan — 7/28/08 @ 6:53 pm

Thanks for correcting my pleating! That is the most perfectly, pleated, potsticker (try saying that 5 times fast) I’ve ever seen!!

32. Passionate Eater — 7/28/08 @ 7:00 pm

Jaden, I can even begin to praise you for making Chinese cooking so elegant, yet doable for all America. I can’t wait to buy your cookbook and encourage my entire workplace and all my friends to do it as well. I’ve missed reading your blog, and am going to spent countless hours catching up.

33. Meilin — 7/28/08 @ 8:36 pm

I love that story about Kevin showing up as “just one more student”. What a touching surprise. :-)

I love your pleating photos too. Mine were never all that pretty, but you’ve inspired me to try again. :)

34. Mark Wu — 7/28/08 @ 9:31 pm

When I get my ass in gear and start learning how to cook, this might be one of the first things on the list! Dumpling pleating that is. Looks like a sure-fire way to declare when I’ve actually made something myself!

35. Asianmommy — 7/28/08 @ 9:51 pm

I have fond memories of making dumplings with my mom when I was growing up. Thanks for the recipe. Maybe I’ll try to do it with my kids someday.

36. Mrs. L — 7/29/08 @ 1:46 am

Thank you for those instructions! My fist attempt at dumplings were horrible! I need to try them again.

37. i still hv this terrible nightmare of young me trying to pleat dumplings under close supervision of my then bf’s mum. i failed miserably, was convinced that i was & would always be hopeless in the kitchen, and almost swore never to attempt to cook anything anymore in my life!

silly me. lucky i grew out of that

yay to lynne and kevin! :)

38. canarygirl — 7/29/08 @ 4:11 am

Oh, YUM. Dammit, why do I read this stuff first thing in the morning? LOL Great step by steps, Jaden. :D

39. Jen — 7/29/08 @ 3:57 pm

I forgot to thank you for the pleating lessons!! I took another class from my friend’s mom…I was the ROCKSTAR because of my bad@$$ pleats!! I rocked it!!

40. Mishmash! — 7/29/08 @ 6:16 pm

Hi there! You had dropped a Q on my blog for the Mango pickle recipe, asking for a substitute for gingelly oil….sorry for the delayed reply …..Well, Gingelly oil is also known as Sesame oil or til oil…..sesame oil is something u can find in american markets and asian stores…go for the lighter one.This pickle taste great and stays for a longer time if cooked in this oil…else you can use vegetable oil too but taste will be slightly different…..let me know if you liked the pickle…..change the spice level according to your tolerance level.All the best :)

41. Nate 2.0 — 7/29/08 @ 6:27 pm

Jaden,

Your photos are fabulous. I thank you for this really well done series on making dumplings.

We use premade sui gow wrappers for our own jiaozi / gyoza but we’ve always wanted to try making the skins ourselves. Could you please post a tutorial on that, especially the rolling out of the skin?

42. RecipeGirl — 7/30/08 @ 10:07 am

They look terribly yummy. Thanks for the step by step. I’ve made dumplings many times before and haven’t bothered with pleating. Next time…

43. Lore — 7/30/08 @ 11:45 am

Thanks for the tuto on pleating Jaden! Oh, and what a nice surprise, Lynne is one lucky girl :) (trying not to get too emotional now … status: not working)

44. Yummy Yummy, this looks so good. I wish I ordered Chinese for lunch.

45. Lynne — 7/30/08 @ 6:07 pm

Thanks for all the nice comments! So I think tomorrow night we will see how much Kevin learned in class that night – we’re trying the dumplings ourselves! I can honestly tell you I have no idea what happend past the moment I saw him – it’s all a blur from then on. So hopefully he was paying attention to Jaden at least a little! If not, we’ll have the instructions here to help us! :-)

46. Emily — 7/30/08 @ 7:16 pm

You have such a talent for this. I love your ideas and am so impressed with how good these look.

47. toontz — 7/30/08 @ 8:13 pm

It never fails to give me a tear when I see a member of the military surprise his/her loved ones.
    Thank you for the story!

48. Jescel — 7/31/08 @ 12:16 am

you’ve always been funny and wacky in your posts, but i felt your tender side in this blog. that must have been a touching moment, i would have probably shed a tear myself if i were there.. anyways, your potstickers looks so perfect. very pretty. i’ll have to practice those.

49. Big Boys Kitchen — 7/31/08 @ 10:09 am

delicious princess . . . awesome recipes . . . . great transformation from nothing to jewel . . . . you are a diamond!

50. Cakebrain — 8/1/08 @ 12:29 am

Hey Jaden,
    That’s true pleating-talent! My potstickers and har-gow always turn out kind of lop-sided. I know the theory, but the execution leaves a lot to be desired! That, and my dumplings are always different sizes. I’m wrapping-challenged. One day, I hope you post a step-by-step guide on how to wrap “dzung”–you know–those sticky rice dumplings Chinese people chuck in the river? But I like mine stuffed with tons of things: green mung beans, huge chunks of chinese sausage, pork…maybe a duck egg yolk (not much room for sticky rice!) Those banana leaves are a pain in the neck to wrap.