Sunday, July 13, 2008

Having a Demi Moore Moment

Last night, Scott came home after being away for a week playing the World Series of Poker main event in Las Vegas. Out of 6844 players, he finished 466th, earning a very nice prize package of $27,000. I am so very proud of Scott, as this is his first time playing such a big live tournament.

Normally, when Scott plays poker, it’s late at night in his office at home. He’s wearing his baby blue striped pajama bottoms that I bought him for Christmas last year, grey fuzzy slippers and a ratty shirt that says, “I luv my daddy.” His hair is usually messy and he has a can of diet coke with a bowl of microwaved sweet butter popcorn by his side.

So last night when we got home, Scott showed me the link to the WSOP photos – as we scanned the thousands of photos from the event, I didn’t even recognize his photo.

Scott

My goofy, gentle elephant got swallowed up in that black hat and sunglasses! Check out that fierce poker face!

Remember this Shirt shirt that I made for him? Yes, he wore it, but not while playing because Scott won his WSOP entry through Full Tilt Poker and the deal was that if Scott ever appeared on the TV broadcast wearing Full Tilt gear, they’d award him $10,000.

Let’s see.

SteamyKitchen.com’s marketing budget = $13.48
Full Tilt Poker = $10,000

I was outbid. Bastards!

Anyways, the first three days of poker playing was a race for the players to get into the money. 6,844 players and only the top 666 players would get paid. Scott was low on chips for most of the tournament and definitely the smallest at his table amongst massive stacks. I think they called that “pretty much fucked,” but he survived and played his “short stack strategy” by not letting the others bully him around.

Yeah. You certainly don’t mess with a guy looking that fierce!

When he finally busted out – and for you poker players, he went all in with AA and was beat by QQ’s when a queen fell on the turn. (translation: bad stinkin’ luck)

But WOW, what an accomplishment to go out at 466th place! Scott told me that once he was in the money (meaning reaching past 666th), everything else was gravy on top. After he busted out, a tournament runner escorted him to the payout room, where he filled out all the necessary tax forms to get paid.

The tournament cashier offered him his prize amount in every way possible: any combination of cash, chips, check, wire transfer, money deposit at the Rio Casino or just a big hug and pat on the back. They’re easy like that.

Of course, after enduring some of the most intense few days, Scott said it kinda seemed anti-climactic to just get a small piece of paper with some writing on it as a receipt for the wire transfer. So, he chose to get a wad of cash. Specifically, a BIG wad of cash. And so when he came home last night, after we put the kids to bed, we had our own little Demi Moore/Woody Harrelson Indecent Proposal moment.

Climactic for sure.

***

I know you’re all wondering what we’re going to do with the $27K – I mean it’s a lot of money, and certainly more than we’ve ever had to just hanging around with no agenda. After much thought and deliberation, we’ve decided that the best thing to do – the RIGHT thing to do – was to be very responsible parents. I’m getting a boob job.

76 Responses to “Having a Demi Moore Moment”

1. Sowjanya — 7/13/08 @ 11:17 am

Money well spent ;). When’s the appointment ? ;)

2. Vitor Hugo — 7/13/08 @ 11:32 am

Huahuahuah! Boob job! Jaden, your recipes are amazing, but your humor is outstading!

Congrats to you, guys! And, Scott looks like: I’ll kick your ass, hahahah

3. Lilie — 7/13/08 @ 11:42 am

Congrats!! Great story too!!

4. cindy — 7/13/08 @ 12:18 pm

ha, ha, when i read the title, ‘having a demi moore moment’ many, many things ran through my head with all the movies she’s done! ggod thing it wasn’t anything from ‘ghost’ or ‘g.i.jane’! good job scott!

5. courtney — 7/13/08 @ 12:28 pm

Hahahahaha! You are hysterical. Congrats on the huge win. Scott did really well. for the first time in a tournament like this. It can only get better. Whatever you do with the money, enjoy it and have fun.

6. Sabine — 7/13/08 @ 12:36 pm

Congratulations to Scott on his big win! Cheers!

7. Hal — 7/13/08 @ 2:27 pm

Climactic, indeed! I’m sure the boob job will keep those moments coming. :-X

BAD HAL!

(I swear it was unintentional until I wrote it and looked at it again)

8. zenchef — 7/13/08 @ 2:34 pm

hahahahahahahahaha……. The two last sentences killed me. hahahaha.
    Congrats on the winnings!!

9. Fran Magbual — 7/13/08 @ 3:34 pm

Whew! I thought you decided you didn’t like your haircut after all and adopted Demi’s G.I. Jane hairstyle. At least you’re not spending the money on anything frivolous. :-)

10. Congrats to Scott on his two big wins. Once for the tourney and again for the boob job. Sounds like everyone will be happy. hehe

Seriously, congrats!

11. Natalie Sztern — 7/13/08 @ 5:28 pm

well i happen to have two guys at home always watching poker and one who has a regualr game ‘with the boys’ and it is not my hubb but my son.

wow…27 grand is nothing to sneeze at…

is it going to be a balloon D – anything less don’t waste the bucks LOL

12. Cenk — 7/13/08 @ 5:54 pm

Hahahahahah! I was so waiting for that punch line! Congrats!

13. Elise — 7/13/08 @ 7:02 pm

Oh yeah, as if Steamy Kitchen could be any hotter…

;-)

14. kat — 7/13/08 @ 8:25 pm

way to go scott!

15. Syd — 7/13/08 @ 9:37 pm

Yay Scott!!

Honey, you failed to mention what a total babe he is! *swoon*

16. Wade — 7/13/08 @ 10:06 pm

That’s awesome Scott………………..and Jaden. You can get a round trip ticket to Phuket, Thailand for less than 1K and get a 8008 job while you’re there for only 2K. Roadtrip!!!

Miss you guys!!

17. Kitt — 7/13/08 @ 10:28 pm

As I know my mother would say: Make sure you save some of that cash and invest in good bras!

18. Congratulations! Wade’s suggestion of a road trip is great! Yeah, you can do most of Asia for less than that amount. Come visit!

19. Pictures please when you’re ‘cooked’ – hehe ;)

20. daphne — 7/14/08 @ 1:49 am

woohoo!! Congrats scott and that is a mean look!! And boob job? Seriously?!

21. some pointers from rita’s investment 101:
    1. buy high, sell low
    2. ONLY buy stock of companies of which the second wife of the chairman is smoking HOT (no, first wives don’t count)
    3. ONLY buy stock of companies you absolutely NEVER heard of
    4. DIVERSIFIED PORTFOLIO: 10% losing stocks, 20% expensive things you don’t need, & gamble away 90% (yes total more than 100% – of course)

22. lifeinrecipes — 7/14/08 @ 7:00 am

That is too cool. And hubby looks totally fierce. Have big (but not too DD big)fun with the $$$!

23. joey — 7/14/08 @ 7:49 am

Woohoo! Great idea to get the wad of cash over the boring wire transfer slip ;)

Congratulations Scott!

24. Keith — 7/14/08 @ 8:15 am

wow… 27k will buy a lot of bubble wrap.

Congrats Scott!

25. finsbigfan — 7/14/08 @ 8:59 am

Congratulations Scott! Ya know Jaden, the best place to show off those new boobs is VEGAS!!!

26. Daniela — 7/14/08 @ 9:14 am

Congratulations and like the way you spent the money ;)

27. Tina Gasperson — 7/14/08 @ 9:21 am

Fabulous, funny story. I’ve had a few Demi Moore moments with my hubby myself.

Tina
    tinahdee.etsy.com

28. Mike — 7/14/08 @ 9:22 am

That’s awesome–congrats on the big win! And rofl at the plans for the money–have you considered a career as a financial planner/adviser?

29. Paula — 7/14/08 @ 9:44 am

Ha Ha that’s hysterical! congrats on the win sounds like you’ve gonna have a great time with the winnings;)

30. Nicole — 7/14/08 @ 9:47 am

That’s awesome! Congrats, Scott!

31. patsyk — 7/14/08 @ 10:07 am

That is AWESOME! Enjoy that extra cash flow… no matter how you decide to spend it! ;)

32. Andrea — 7/14/08 @ 10:22 am

Hilarious! And awesome that he won some good cash! Have fun with it!

33. katy — 7/14/08 @ 10:38 am

hahahaha!!!!!! congratulations to both of you, and i think it’s HILARIOUS that he came home with a suitcase of cash! (now go put it in a bank bc it’s hilarious and also terrifying!)

34. Sig — 7/14/08 @ 11:48 am

WOW! Congrats to Scott… Getting in the money in WSOP main event is a major accomplishment… and I think it is a great way to go out with pocket aces against a major suckout, a bad beat story to tell people for ever! I sooo want to move to a state where I can play internet poker again…. :(

Oh and what a way to spend the money… are we getting before and after pictures? ;)

35. SpecialEd — 7/14/08 @ 12:05 pm

May I recommend getting one at a time, that way you can get used to it and see if you like it while also putting away some money for the little guys (your sons that is) education.

And since we are so used to your fabulous photography, we do expect before and after shots!

36. Scott — 7/14/08 @ 2:29 pm

I’m confused. Why do you want before and after pictures of stacks of cash? The before stack will be taller in comparison to the now depleted after picture.

37. Sounds like fun!!! Do you think they’ll do 2 for 1? I’d LOVE a lift! =)

Congrats to hubby on a well played tourney!!!

38. rita — 7/14/08 @ 3:49 pm

another big congrats from across the pond!!! woohoo!! hubby looks really fierce in that pic, that’s for sure. that’s so awesome that he brought home that wad of money, girl. another celebration we’ll do for you guys. how timely, too… there’s a bier fest this weekend at the next town over and we’re going to that. so i guess, that’s where we’ll do our celebration for you guys! have fun with your new boobs, too. YAAAY!

PROST!

39. meeso — 7/14/08 @ 7:23 pm

Congratulations!!! You both enjoy those new boobies ;)

40. The Survival Gourmet — 7/14/08 @ 7:36 pm

Now that is funny!!!

Since you’re getting a gift for Scott, what is he getting you? LOL

Congrats!!

41. Asianmommy — 7/14/08 @ 7:47 pm

Congratulations! That’s awesome.

42. Cynthia — 7/14/08 @ 9:42 pm

Yeah that’s a wise way to spend the money :)

43. Paula — 7/15/08 @ 12:08 am

Ah, I dream of rolling around in piles of money! How awesome that he came home with a wad of cash! Congrats!

44. deb on the rocks — 7/15/08 @ 9:28 am

That’s rocking cool!

45. Dan — 7/15/08 @ 10:07 am

I love your recipes and I tried some of them with and without success, we have a small selection of ingridients here in the midwest specially seafood considering I’ve live in Hawaii and California most of my life.

I like you humor about the bob job but I call that “front bumper upgrade” :)

46. Hien — 7/15/08 @ 3:24 pm

Man, for 27K those boobs better come with a remote.

47. Carrie Hasson — 7/15/08 @ 5:32 pm

Congrats to your husband Scott! Being in the money is no joke, and he definitely had the nuts lol. Have to say I’m sorry to see your brilliant marketing campaign didn’t pan out, but I’m guessing he can wear your shirt to the bank when he deposits that $10k!
    If you’re serious about your reward for being home all week with the kids, enjoy the new “girls’ but keep in mind that they can definitely be an on the job hazard! I’m just sayin’…

48. Banzai — 7/15/08 @ 5:44 pm

gratz!

49. Grace — 7/15/08 @ 5:54 pm

My husband and I are curious, which year did Scott graduate from West Point? My husband graduated in ’99. Congrats to Scott! Them’s better be big boobs!

50. Allen — 7/15/08 @ 6:53 pm

Darn it … nothing against Scott but when I read ‘Demi Moore moment’ I assumed there was going to be a super-young, shirtless ‘Ashton’ in the story as well. :-)

Congrats on the big win!