Sunday, July 26, 2009

Potato Dominoes

Potato Dominoes Recipe

Andrew just celebrated his sixth birthday last week, and like many little boys, he’s obsessed with Star Wars. We’re currently at the height of the Lego craze and for Andrew’s birthday all he wanted was go to the Lego store inside Downtown Disney, you know, the free part of Disney where everything is double the price, which makes it not-so-free I guess. But no boy as young as Andrew should be allowed to own a Star Wars Republic Attack Gun Ship with 1,034 itty bitty Lego pieces, especially a boy whose mother is neurotic, a father who’s intensely by-the-book-must-follow-instructions and who’s younger brother who loves to tinker, smash, crash and explode things.

Potato Dominoes Recipe

Can you even imagine the four-letter and fifty-eight letter curse words that pierces the air every time I step on a stray, plastic, sharp-edged Lego? Or little brother Nathan’s curiosity that compels him to find out what happens he breaks these 392 pieces off and put them on the other side? Well let me tell you what happens. It no longer functions as a $129.00 Star Wars Republic Attack Gun Ship. Birthday boy cries, Dad’s frustrated because he can’t find missing pieces and I storm into the garage to take the shop-vac out to suck up every single crack of dignity Lego Luke Skywalker ever had.

Potato Dominoes Recipe

And then for the first time in the Steamy Kitchen, I grabbed a cookbook and followed a recipe exactly. No substitutions, no tinkering, no eyeballing measurements. And it turned out wonderful.

Potato Dominoes Recipe

How to make Potato Dominoes

Well, first ya gotta cut your potatoes into a rectangular cube shape. Be prepared to have LOTS of potato scraps. But please don’t be a douche and just throw away the scraps – just plan to have skillet potatoes tomorrow morning and use the scraps in the recipe. See how nice and cubular this is?

potatoes-dominoes-recipe-9potatoes-dominoes-recipe-10

I was sent a Aroma Electric Mandoline Slicer from Aroma to check out, which worked perfectly to slices those potatoes into super-thin slices. That’s Nathan right there, he was fascinated by the see-saw back and forth motion of the mandoline. That’s Nathan in the pic. He’s a mischevious one. Gotta keep an eye on him. That look? You know he’s thinking about what he can stick in that machine to slice.

potatoes-dominoes-recipe-15potatoes-dominoes-recipe-13

What do I think about this Aroma Electric Mandoline Slicer?

• YAY: Smaller, lighter than a food processor. Easy to use, easy to clean. Saves your fingers and knuckles from sharp blade standard mandoline. If you’re a kitchen klutz, this is important. Small, nimble.
  • NAY: Loud, pretty pricey. If you’re spending over $60, you might as well get a food processor with different blades if you have the room in your kitchen. I’ve just been advised that this Aroma Electric Mandoline Slicer is only $39.00 at Target.

So obviously the lighting in my kitchen sucks (some days I feel like grabbing a ladder and cutting a sunroof) I brought these perfectly sliced potato cards closer to the light.

potatoes-dominoes-recipe-23

The potatoes are pretty starchy, so you kinda want to separate them a bit and stack them like a deck of cards – messily, like so:

potatoes-dominoes-recipe-35

You’ll use the scrap potato ends to prop the domino (or cards) up so that they don’t fall over while you’re assembling the stack

potatoes-dominoes-recipe-33

The longer it takes you to do this domino stacking business, the more discoloration you’ll get on the potatoes. But don’t worry, it’s still all good – I promise that the discoloration will disappear once it’s baked.

Don’t stack too many potatoes – give it some breathing room – otherwise it will be difficult to cook evenly. Just a nice, loose stack of potatoes.

potatoes-dominoes-recipe-44

Ready for the sexy food shot??? Now feast your eyes on that!

Potato Dominoes Recipe

Seven Fires' Potato Dominoes Recipe

Servings: 4 Prep Time: 30 minutes Cook Time: 40 minutes
Potato Dominoes Recipe

Recipe from Seven Fires Grilling the Argentine Way by Francis Mallmann. If you feel like tinkering with the recipe, just don't leave stray pieces laying around the floor. I will step on them and it will hurt. Anyways, for something a little different, I would add a little sprinkle of a seasoning, like cinnamon or nutmeg. Also, if you don't want to go through the trouble of clarifying butter, just use regular butter.

Ingredients:

4 Idaho (baking) potatoes
4 tablespoons chilled clarified butter (see below)
coarse salt (like sea salt or kosher salt)

Directions:

Preheat your oven to 400F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with a Silpat, use a nonstick baking sheet or a medium-sized baking dish.

Cut off the two ends of one potato and reserve them. Trim the 4 sides of the potato to form an even brick. Slice of potato about 1/8 inch thick on a mandoline, keeping the slices in order if you can (just like a line of shingled dominoes). Hold the stack of potato slices in the palm of one hand and use the other to shape them back into a brick, as you would a deck of cards. Lay the stack on its side on the baking sheet and put the reserved potato ends, cut side down at either end keep the stack aligned. Then, with the palm of your hand, angle slices slightly to resemble a line of dominoes that has tilted over. Adjust the end pieces to keep the stack and shape, and align the slices if necessary.

Dot the top and sides with pieces of the clarified butter. Sprinkle with salt to taste. Repeat with the remaining potatoes, keeping the stacks at least 2 inches apart.

Bake for 40 minutes, or until the potatoes are browned on the edges and tender in the middle when tested with a skewer. Serve immediately.

To Make the Clarified Butter
1/2 pound unsalted butter

Slowly melt the butter in a heavy small saucepan over medium low heat. Do not stir. Remove from the heat, and carefully spoon off all of the foam from the top. Pour the clear liquid butter through a fine mesh strainer lined with cheesecloth, leaving behind the solids in the pan. Once cool, the clarified butter can be refrigerated for weeks.

76 Responses to “Potato Dominoes”

1. Carrie Oliver — 7/26/09 @ 1:56 pm

Speechless. I am trying this as soon as I get home from this trip, my girls will love it!

2. Viv — 7/26/09 @ 1:58 pm

Beautiful effect. Same technique could be put to great use when making potato gratin using a rectangular or square dish. Thanks Jaden.

3. Daily Spud — 7/26/09 @ 2:02 pm

Yep, those are some pretty looking spuds alright. I will, of course, have to try them out!

4. cool idea! will make these soon!

5. Vicki Hvid — 7/26/09 @ 2:14 pm

Ooh, pretty. I’m going to have to try those.

And yes, there is nothing sharper than tiny lego under one’s heel in the middle of the night. Oof.

6. kayenne — 7/26/09 @ 2:19 pm

Hey! Cool! Square potatoes! Square potatoes makes great square potato chips!!! Off to start the fryer!

7. Jamie — 7/26/09 @ 2:21 pm

Wow…these look amazing! Love the sexy food shot!

8. Kristen — 7/26/09 @ 2:22 pm

Those are fantastic! Making the poor potato look high class, I love it :)

9. meeso — 7/26/09 @ 3:19 pm

Happy Birthday to Andrew and awesome potato dominoes, they must be a treat!

10. Kristin — 7/26/09 @ 3:23 pm

Wow! Those are beautiful! What a creative presentation.

11. Janice — 7/26/09 @ 3:29 pm

Yes, I can imagine the swear words from the Legos. With a 9-year-old boy, I’ve been living in that particular and special form of hell for several years now.

As for the potatoes, they are so beautiful that I just want to stare. I think it’s still pc to objectify potatoes, isn’t it?

12. Steph — 7/26/09 @ 3:29 pm

OMG, these are gorgeous. I wonder if I can convince my daughter to try these…

13. Anh — 7/26/09 @ 3:45 pm

Oh yes, this is a sexy recipe Jaden :D

14. Lys — 7/26/09 @ 3:46 pm

I really should be using my food processor more rather than coveting a mandoline :) Great photos Jaden!

15. How totally cool is that? Sure would be a conversation starter at a party. Love it!

16. Justopia — 7/26/09 @ 4:51 pm

OMG! I can hear the crunch already. I HAVE to make these potatoes this week! As always, thanks for sharing.

17. Karen@Mignardise — 7/26/09 @ 5:19 pm

I am a sucker for any kind of potatoes with nice crispy edges like this.
    I’ll be trying it soon for sure.
    Thanks!

18. Alejandra — 7/26/09 @ 6:02 pm

I love this!! What a cool idea. They’re so freaking gorgeous. I wonder if this would work with sweet potatoes…

19. LisaB — 7/26/09 @ 6:32 pm

Love this idea! I want to try sweet potatoes also.

20. Jane M — 7/26/09 @ 6:54 pm

Just was linked to your blog – GREAT LOOKING TATERS – CAN’T WAIT TO TRY THEM – that is if I have the patience.

21. Asianmommy — 7/26/09 @ 11:03 pm

I love potatoes in any way, shape, or form, but these are beautiful!

22. Amy — 7/27/09 @ 12:05 am

@_@ these look WONDERFUL!!! @_@ I want to make them now…

23. Murasaki Shikibu — 7/27/09 @ 5:05 am

This is great, but it means I need to buy more tools for my kitchen. Well, this is what happens when you move continents too many times. You end-up losing everything you acquired and have to start collecting everything from scratch again. *Buys mandolin…again*

24. Lori @ RecipeGirl — 7/27/09 @ 9:02 am

What a cool-looking potato dish! That’s one of those that I would do… worth the work to make something a little unique. Happy belated bday to Andrew & thanks for the linky love :)

25. chef gui — 7/27/09 @ 9:42 am

Nice photos, as usual. I have to say, I’m not a big fan of gadgets like the electric mandoline but it looks like it works REALLY well.

That’s a nice idea for my 6 year old son, too. Thanks, Jaden.

Talk soon.

Chef Gui.

26. PamperingBeki — 7/27/09 @ 10:20 am

YUM!!! I looove potatoes in any form. Love them.

27. Dawn in CA — 7/27/09 @ 2:17 pm

I hesitate to tell you this, but you should prepare yourself. My son just turned 8, and there is no end in sight to his Lego fascination, so you probably have a few more years to go. ;)

On the upside, we hosted a Lego party at our house recently for my son’s birthday (the Lego store parties are booked a year in advance – seriously? – who is that organized?). We put one of those GIANT boxes of mixed Legos in the middle of the table and told the boys to go to town, make something, and you each get to take it home. Gotta tell ya, I have never hosted a more relaxing kids’ party. The boys were so engrossed in building their Lego creations, that we adults got to just hang out with our drinks and snacks for over an hour – (almost) no supervision required. Yay Legos!

28. Dawn in CA — 7/27/09 @ 2:18 pm

P.S. – gotta make these potatoes. The photos are calling to me.

29. Chez US — 7/27/09 @ 4:38 pm

LOVE it! Definitely giving this one a try ….

30. Ahh… lego… You see; I had a lego fascination myself when I was little so I fully understand Andrew’s obsession… :)
    It’ll pass…. I promise (I didn’t say at what age, right??)
    That potato dish looks delicious but how big are those potatoes!! Wow!

31. Reena — 7/27/09 @ 8:57 pm

Those wafer thin potatoes look so delicious and the presentation is awesome. There are so many things you could do with those potato slices.

32. Amiyrah — 7/27/09 @ 11:19 pm

This reminds me so much to my recipe for box car potatoes, but your potatoes are so thin! I love it! We can’t have the big food processor in our tiny apartment, so maybe one day I can try your domino potatoes.

This is my first time to your blog(came via pioneer woman) and it think it’s great. Can’t wait to see what else you come up with!

33. Cynthia — 7/28/09 @ 12:37 am

This is awesome!

34. Mary — 7/28/09 @ 11:41 am

WOW. This looks amazing.

35. Kim — 7/28/09 @ 5:22 pm

Funny that I have to go to a blog in the U.S. to find out about a cookbook by an Argentine :-) I’m pretty excited about tracking it down. Might end up having to buy it in the U.S. and have it shipped down though.

The vast majority of homes here have an asador (outdoor grill) and I am all for finding recipes that allow us to fix the entire meal outdoors. Especially since we don’t have a.c. and I hate to turn the stove on AT ALL in the summer. Thanks for the recipe and info about the cookbook!

36. so cool and stylish. At my house we just fried a ton ton ton of french fires. this is alike a chip/fry. mind blowing

37. Divina — 7/29/09 @ 8:21 am

Wow, that’s a cool gadget. Those potatoes are like a deck of cards.

38. The Single Guy — 7/29/09 @ 1:56 pm

Only you can make potatoes look sexy! What a cool way to make potatoes, and sounds really easy.

39. Why oh why Jaden! I’ve been eye mandolin slicers for a while now…and this recipe is going to push me over the edge, I think. It might push hubby over the edge, too. He’ll come around when he sees these crispy domino potatos coming out of the oven! ;-)

40. Luana — 7/31/09 @ 1:18 am

So gorgeous! They almost look like crispy phyllo dough. I bet they taste fantastic.

41. veggie wedgie — 7/31/09 @ 3:47 am

Woooow, i want those potatoes!

42. Hillary — 7/31/09 @ 1:44 pm

I have never seen anything like this! How do you make the slices so paper thin?

You should submit this to Recipe4Living.com!

43. SteamyKitchen — 7/31/09 @ 10:10 pm

I use a mandoline

44. Banana — 8/2/09 @ 7:32 pm

… i feel like an idiot,… did i miss something? the… instructions? i mean, how do u cook it, not just prepare it to be cooked? or am I that dense that everyone else has a superpower instinct for merely looking at a sexy food photo and instantly knowing the oven heat setting and time and toppings. Sigh. Guess I’d better look to steamykitchenforidiots webpage next time. haha. It sure does look good though.

45. Great. Now I want these potato stacks AND an electric mandolin.

How many days until Christmas?

46. those might be the coolest lookin’ potatoes i’ve ever seen!

47. Laura — 8/3/09 @ 8:35 pm

This looks beautiful. A mandolin is one of the few pieces of kitchen equipment I have yet to get my hands on!

48. Katie — 8/4/09 @ 1:50 am

Potatoes any way are good – including Dominoes style! That looks fabulous and I’ll bet it tasted just as good as it looks! :)

49. Jonathan — 8/4/09 @ 7:45 am

This is brilliant. I am definitely giving these a go. One of the best potato related things I’ve seen in ages.

50. diva — 8/4/09 @ 8:37 am

coool!! these are real creative. they’re like crisps but even better. they look amazing and i’m thinking dipping these in salsa, houmous and mayb sour cream. oooh. x