Friday, March 13, 2009

Bonding over Instant Ramen

There’s a special time in a parent’s life when you begin teaching your little tots the fine art of life. Like how to wiggle your way out of a ticket or jail time after rear ending a police car or maybe how to play with scissors discreetly.

This morning, it was introducing Nathan to my ol college buddy, Maruchan Instant Ramen, Chicken Flavor.

fishy_002_web
Ouch, mommy! Noodles too hot!

I haven’t had instant ramen since I was pregnant with Nathan 4 years ago, when all I would eat was McDonald’s french fries dipped in McDonald’s soft serve, chased by an instant ramen cup. That was all I wanted to eat, sometimes I’d wake up at 4am, scurry to the kitchen and raid my stash of artificial flavors. Preganancy produced all sorts of whacky sensations, including one side of my body being hot, the other cold, hungry one moment and my teeth itching the next. So, I’d stand there in the kitchen, with only one sock on, loudly slurping so fast on my instant ramen, that the tails of the noodles whip my cheek, my nose, my forehead.
Instant Ramen Love
Mommy blows noodles to cool them off

I hadn’t had instant ramen since then – and today, when I was looking for something in the pantry….SCORE! I found 2 cups of instant ramen! So, who cares if these babies were 4 years old?? I’m sure that if the artificial crap inside the cup didn’t kill me during college or if Nathan turned out with 15 toes, this surely wouldn’t harm us today.

And so I taught Nathan how to carefully, slowely peel back the paper lid without tearing it, pour in the hot water to just riiiiight there, position the paper lid right back on, fold the little tab to make it stay and then prop a pair of chopsticks on top of the lid so that it wouldn’t pop up from the steam.

fishy_014_web
Now he’s happy!

You have to wait just the right amount of time – the noodles shouldn’t be too hard or too soggy. And you have to SLLLUUUURRRRRPPPPP fast!! This is like totally the finest form of bonding ever.
fishy_018_web

Oh and to my personal trainer, Alicia, I swear I really didn’t eat this. I just PRETENDED to eat the 330 empty calories. No sirrreeee….I had a salad.

57 Responses to “Bonding over Instant Ramen”

1. MyLastBite — 3/13/09 @ 2:07 am

Absolutely Beautiful! These photos warm my heart. Thank you

2. amy — 3/13/09 @ 2:17 am

These pictures are so cute! Esp the last one! : )

3. fbayu — 3/13/09 @ 2:44 am

article in this site very grade and benefit for me, am will be to visit again to here

4. ruth — 3/13/09 @ 3:14 am

what adorable pictures!! maruchan ramen is the best. (aside from the korean ramen, shin ramyun, which is A-W-E-S-O-M-E)

as for the mcd’s fries dipped in milkshakes, hey, i’ve been doing that since i was a kid. everyone thought i was strange. :)

5. Passionate Eater — 3/13/09 @ 3:24 am

You are the best, mom, EVER. I love the sweet tenderness that you show in these pictures. I grew up on instant noodles, and I actually think of them fondly. Um, but I do have a question to ask… When are you going to add a little girl to your family of boys, and name that little girl “Passionate Eater?” Just as your boys are the handsomest little devils in the whole state of Florida, your little mini-Jaden would be as beautiful as you, and that means she’d be gorgeous. I am patiently waiting for your prompt response, Jaden. You’d better get moving!

6. Kitt — 3/13/09 @ 3:25 am

How cute! I love a good cup o’ ramen, though I do like to jazz it up with extras if I can.

I see you succumbed to the chopsticks with training wheels.

7. Happy Cook — 3/13/09 @ 4:56 am

I always have these noodles at home for a snack in the evening when we have nothing else.
    Looks like both mom and son enjoyed the instant expirience.

8. Such precious pictures!! I used to love wendy’s french fries dipped in frosties, so fries in soft serve isn’t that weird!

9. Jen Yu — 3/13/09 @ 8:24 am

Girlfriend, you are hilarious – always making me laugh (and making me snort beverages on my keyboard). But I have to tell you that when I saw you blowing on the noodles I was like, “My mom did that too when I was 25 little!” :) You and your boys are so cute. xxoo

10. chadzilla — 3/13/09 @ 8:48 am

I like the ‘training wheel’ chopsticks. I have a pair in our kitchen drawer waiting for Marlee one day.. of course she’s not 2 months old yet so it might be awhile.
    Instant noodles deserve a lot of respect. They’ve always been there through the hard times, and gave us comfort in better times. I like to consider myself the instant noodle master. I can really make a mean bowl.

11. Betty — 3/13/09 @ 9:41 am

I’ve been reading your blog for a while and I had to comment today. I love instant ramen ( instant noodle). When we lived in Hong Kong, the first 8 years of my life, we would eat it for breakfast with ham and eggs. Fast forward many, many years later, I’m living in Mexico with my husband and two boys (4 and 2) and both my boys love LOVE Maruchan. There’s not too many brands of instant ramen here however there are lots of different flavours. I feel less guilty feeding it to them without the soup. Its a comfort food to me.

12. veronica — 3/13/09 @ 10:03 am

So cute! :) I still get down on a cup of ramen from time to time. There’s something so nostalgic about it.

13. David — 3/13/09 @ 11:08 am

That reminds me, I should expand my palate beyond just Top Ramen. I think I’ll have some Ramen for lunch!

14. June — 3/13/09 @ 12:32 pm

Those pictures are so sweet, they brought a lump to my throat.

I love ramen (and I’m not ashamed!), I prefer the Sapporo brand, which takes a few minutes to cook on the stove. Add in some bean sprouts, chopped kale, or even a little leftover stir fry, and it makes a decent, filling meal, albeit high fat.

So, eating ramen again for the first time in 4 years…? Anything ELSE you want to share with us? ;)

15. Ooooooooooooooo, how cute is that!
    I love those kiddie chopstick.
    And, of course, a good story with a good laugh!

16. Culinarywannabe — 3/13/09 @ 1:10 pm

How cute! My husband grew up eating Sapporo Ichiban, and buys it by the caseload from our local Japanese grocery store. I’m sure your son will be hooked.

17. Dawn in CA — 3/13/09 @ 1:23 pm

Mmmm… super-salty instant Ramen. Hello, my lovely. My 3 1/2 year-old twins haven’t yet had the pleasure. Sounds like a weekend mommy-daughters-bonding plan!

18. patsyk — 3/13/09 @ 2:03 pm

Such sweet pictures of the two of you! Memories in the making when you share something like that… artificial flavors be damned!

19. Lizzie — 3/13/09 @ 2:47 pm

Aww! I heart you guys :)

20. God I haven’t had one of those in years! You’ve totally inspired me to boil up some water and pour it in that styrofoam cup.

21. Val — 3/13/09 @ 5:17 pm

Adorable!

22. What a precious post. You and I craved almost the same things while pregnant, how funny. With my second it was falafel….well I still crave that now, lol. Someday your son will look back and those photos and smile.

23. Murasaki Shikibu — 3/13/09 @ 7:18 pm

That look on Nathan’s face in the last photo…is precious. LOL

24. Tuty — 3/13/09 @ 10:58 pm

Maruchan Roast Beef flavor has been my favorite… sometimes jazzed up with blanched you-choy or fresh bean sprout, beef meatballs, garnished with sambal, sliced green onions, and fried shallots. Complete and balance meal for cheap!!!

Bonding with your son is priceless…

25. Marc @ NoRecipes — 3/14/09 @ 12:15 am

Great photos of the two of you! Cup ramen was definitely a staple during my dorm years and I think that was also when I really started experimenting with more unusual flavours (like adding tahini to make it a little more creamy).

26. Angela — 3/14/09 @ 12:44 am

AWWWWW! That’s so cute. Love the pics! I like his chopsticks too! By the way, thanks for the advice and reply back! = )

27. katie — 3/14/09 @ 10:21 am

Aw! I love his chopsticks!

28. meeso — 3/14/09 @ 11:27 am

Adorable pictures!!!

29. ThatsSoYummy — 3/14/09 @ 3:39 pm

This is adorable and just incredibly sweet to watch. Children are precious especially when you see the fascination and admiration they have for their parents.

Thank you for sharing. Love the chopsticks as well :-)

Where did you get them, need some for my own pumpkins.

30. Holly — 3/14/09 @ 3:53 pm

LOVE the chopsticks!! Very cute!

31. Madeline — 3/14/09 @ 4:43 pm

OMG, look at those chopsticks, Adorable!!! I had a similar experience a couple of years ago while at a friends house. I hadn’t had it since I was a teenager and it was SO good. Your description of the preparation is perfect!

32. Judy — 3/14/09 @ 4:43 pm

You had better be careful…I met Alicia and I think she could kick your butt for eating bad things!!! Very cute post.

33. Adorable photos! You make such a cute couple together..:)

34. Tracy — 3/14/09 @ 9:20 pm

Awww, so sweet! We have the training chopsticks, too. When I was in college, I’d gourmet up my cup o’ noodles with Pace picante sauce. I was a fusion pioneer!

35. Barry — 3/14/09 @ 9:41 pm

Well, now that’s just ridiculously adorable. (the pics and story, not so much the ramen)

36. Asianmommy — 3/14/09 @ 9:57 pm

Aww…what a great bonding experience–from one food lover to another! :)

37. J Tang — 3/15/09 @ 12:21 am

:dies:

Please do an indepth article on ramen!
    My heart would explode!

38. chunky — 3/15/09 @ 1:07 am

personal trainer to you: yeah, right! who took the wonderful, once-in-a-lifetime pictures. you guys are so sweet. here’s hoping they will stay sweet for a longer period of time.

39. maris — 3/15/09 @ 1:36 am

Very cute! A much better activity than teaching him how to talk his way out of jail time :)

40. So cute Jaden! (Oh, and Nathan too :) )

41. Piegirl — 3/15/09 @ 3:32 am

Great story! Love the pics! Your boy/s are the cutest!

42. Lynn — 3/15/09 @ 1:10 pm

Sweet photos. When I was pregnant I craved Chicken In a Biscuit crackers. Something about artificial chicken flavor wrapped in a sodium bomb that’s unbeatable.

43. joey — 3/15/09 @ 11:26 pm

He is the cutest!!! I love this series of bonding over instant noodles…and love his cute little “trainer” chopsticks!

44. Everyday Mommy — 3/16/09 @ 9:00 pm

May I just say that I’m pretty much addicted to noodles of any kind so you will be promptly added to my little foodie blog roll.

I’m not a foodie blogger, but I really wanna’ be.

45. Cameron S. — 3/16/09 @ 11:18 pm

I always enjoyed adding a poached egg to any type of ramen – loved it when the yolk would break out and join its noodly friends.

Love the pictures – brought back memories of my years in university. I once ate jasmine rice and hot sauce for 3 months.

46. Jescel — 3/18/09 @ 10:35 am

oh my.. this is such a precious moment! and nathan is too cute! :o)

47. Allen of EOL — 3/18/09 @ 1:10 pm

Ahh, a cup of ramen … it’s one of my guilty pleasures. I lived on ramen during college and it holds a special place in my heart :-)

48. MsGourmet — 3/19/09 @ 8:14 am

Nothing like bonding with your boy and some noodles!

49. shalum — 3/19/09 @ 8:53 am

ah. nothing warms the heart like instant noodle soup. :) and sharing it with your baby is so sweet. nice post!

50. Nicisme — 3/19/09 @ 10:36 am