Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Ginger, Coriander & Orange Braised Chicken

Ginger, Coriander & Orange Braised Chicken

I teased about this awesome package that I got and asked for several testers to help out with product testing. Thank you to the 15 testers to responded! I sent each of them 1-3 samples of tsp spices, and they each cooked with the spice and gave me a short 2 sentence review.

You guys rock.

What is tsp?

tsp spices are organic spices in perfectly measured, freshly sealed, single-use packages. Each tin comes with 12 spice packets – each 1 tsp of the spice. Their products, “packets of pure adventure,” make measuring spoons obsolete and also protect spices from light and air to ensure freshness and the fullest flavor. A reprieve from spice cabinet chaos, these one-teaspoon spice packets are stored in tin cans that look great displayed on the kitchen counter, which makes them a perfect gift for home cooks.

Dried spices lose their potency after 6-12 months and the more light and air that gets exposed to the spice, the shorter the shelf life. Simply put, if you’ve still got that ground ginger in the back of your pantry, inherited from old Aunt Martha, your food is gonna taste like…well…crusty Aunt Martha. Nasty. I love the concept of tsp, because I only open what I need. the rest stays fresh and sealed.

TSP Spices

(photo from tsp spices)

Such fancy packaging…are they expensive?

$7-$9 a box (12 tsp per box) – which is about 30% more than I pay for non-organic supermarket spice. However, I’ve learned something this year. Rather than go find the best deal possible, I’ve decided that I want to buy less and splurge on things that are beautiful, lovely to use and good for my family. I want to really savor and enjoy the things I have in my home, especially in the kitchen. Let me tell you, these spices are gorgeous.

Actually, when I first opened the package, I said out loud to Scott, “Damn. All this packaging – so wasteful! What’s the point of organic spices if you’re going to waste earth’s resources for the packaging?”

And of course, Scott replied, “Stop bitching. Reuse the boxes.” So now my boys’ matchbox cars smell like Oregano.

read on….I’m giving some tsp spice tins away!!!

What did I make with the tsp spices?

The most awesome braised chicken ever. Oranges, garlic, and a blend of tsp ginger and coriander.

Oranges, garlic and spices

Ginger, Coriander and Orange Braised Chicken

Inspired by flipping through Nigel Slater’s Appetite which has been sitting on my desk for the past 2 weeks because I can’t stop looking at it. I love his style of cooking – “a small handful of crabmeat per person” “ginger root – a small lump.” Nigel’s book teaches you how to improvise and create a dish all your own. Forget following recipes word-for-word, he gives you a template and teaches you which flavor combinations work well and when is it done.

Each recipe also has variations at the end. The “Chicken, Garlic and Herbs” recipe (this is the recipe my Ginger, Coriander and Orange Braised Chicken is based on) has options for:

• a buttery finish
  • a creamy finish
  • use this same recipe to cook lamb with garlic and lemon
  • or even pork steaks with apple and creme

Anyways, I highly recommend this book. And hey, if Jamie Oliver says, “Nigel is a genius” then I’m totally sold.

You can substitute skin-on chicken breasts for thigh. Cut back the simmer time just a bit as the breast will cook faster than the bone-in thigh. Best to check it around the 17 minute mark, timing really will depend on how big and thick your breasts are.

6 chicken thighs, skin-on
1 oranges, cut into 8 wedges
6 cloves garlic, smashed with side of cleaver
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground coriander
2 tsp kosher salt
fresh ground pepper
1/2 cup white wine
2 1/2 tsp soy sauce
cilantro to garnish

In a small bowl, combine the ginger, coriander, salt and pepper. Season chicken on both sides with the spice mixture. Let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes or overnight in the refrigerator. In large dutch oven or deep skillet, heat 1 tbl olive oil on high heat. When hot, place the chicken, skin side down to brown for 1-2 minutes. Turn skin side up. Turn heat to low, throw in garlic and 4 orange sections (give a nice squeeze as you throw them in to get the juice in the pan). Add wine. Cover and simmer on gentle, low heat for 25 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Remove chicken to plate, leaving the sauce in the pan. Remove and discard oranges, and add the remaining fresh orange wedges. Turn heat to medium-high and add soy sauce. Cook for 3 minutes until thickened. Pour on top of chicken, garnish with fresh cilantro.

Free tsp spices

Free TSP Spices

Really! Just for you! tsp is sending me 3 twin packs. So, 3 lucky ducks will get a beautiful set of spices.

How to enter

Just comment below and tell me what is your favorite spice combination? That’s it! If you want to link to one of your recipes, feel free to link away.

Contest is open until Saturday March 1st at 10pm est. I’ll take entries up until then and we’ll pick 3 winners using the nifty random number generator.

That’s it! Good luck!

My tester’s reviews

are on the next page!

252 Responses to “Ginger, Coriander & Orange Braised Chicken”

1. Garlic + Chili Powder + Cumin + Paprika = lots of great TexMex and Middle Easter meals! I would be happy with any combination to try out!

2. Mouse — 2/27/08 @ 1:12 pm

Garlic and dill, especially in yogurt with cucumbers. Oh, now that’s what I want for lunch.

Also! Random spice mistake leads to interesting food: Our local market lets you buy small bits of spice (a teaspoon here, a tablespoon there) from the spice area, and you take them home in small baggies. I lost the label for one, and ended up putting a teaspoon of garam Masala into my chocolate chip cookies instead of the cinnamon/clove mixture I usually use (yes, my cookies are weird to begin with).

My family couldn’t get enough of them, and now I’ve been using it in other things… it’s tasty in banana bread.

3. Tanya — 2/27/08 @ 1:25 pm

Hmmm. It’s a tossup between garlic/ginger/red pepper flakes and cardamom/cinnamon/star anise/cloves

4. Em — 2/27/08 @ 1:43 pm

Rosemary is definitely my current favorite spice… HOWEVER… Chinese 5-Spice powder is my absolute go-to for when I’m cooking anything even remotely along the lines of asian cuisine.

Btw… love your blog… I bought the LowellEGO light after your post about it… the pics using different lighting/flash/etc really sold me.

Thanks!!

5. Laura — 2/27/08 @ 1:43 pm

Garlic, lemon and red pepper, or basil, oregano & savory, or savory & thyme, or savory & lemon thyme … or salt! Salt with anything. Mmmmm.

Also, I think that savory and sage are so underused as to practically be criminal.

6. Carmen — 2/27/08 @ 2:00 pm

Chinese 5-spice powder! ginger, star anise, cassia, cloves, and cinnamon. this recipe looks great, I will try it this weekend!

7. Amy — 2/27/08 @ 2:02 pm

I’m pretty boring when it comes to spices. A little salt & rosemary. Lately I’ve been loving fresh citrus zests.

8. Luiza — 2/27/08 @ 2:57 pm

Lemon pepper & dill on broiled salmon
    Garlic, basil & chipotle pepper in pasta
    and now that I’ve read the blog I’m going to try chipotle & nutmeg!

9. KristinaYellow — 2/27/08 @ 3:00 pm

My favorites spices…hmm, there are just so many wonderful possibilities! I love spicy things in a sweet dish, like chili with cinnamon and nutmeg. Or anything savory with garlic, onion, parsley, rosemary, and citrus flavors. I hate to buy premixed seasonings because it’s so much fun to just throw stuff together and see what happens. I only have 1 spice that I really don’t appreciate: rosemary. For some reason, it just is too strong a flavor in the dishes I’ve used it in.

10. Mary Huynh — 2/27/08 @ 3:10 pm

I like garlic and curry.

11. Angela — 2/27/08 @ 3:45 pm

Rosemary and garlic, especially with lamb.

12. Heather — 2/27/08 @ 5:00 pm

Rosemary with lemon zest and garlic is delicious on chicken or veal or lamb or really any time of meat, mmm. But my favourite at the moment is thyme mixed with just a bit of salt and pepper and maybe some garlic on any type of vegetable. Particularly squash! Freakin’ delicious. Nutmeg goes really well with squash too, and add a little nutmeg and dill together in this white chicken stew I’ve made and I think I’ve died and gone to heaven. Spices rock! :D

13. Celeste T. — 2/27/08 @ 5:02 pm

YUMMY!

14. Celeste T. — 2/27/08 @ 5:10 pm

Oh I’m silly… sorry for the accidental double, I was so excited about the spices that I glazed over the rest of the instructions… guess I excite easily…

Anyways… I’d have to say cayenne and cardamom… good for meat rubs

15. Twyla — 2/27/08 @ 6:29 pm

I think basil, thyme, and lemon zest are yummy on chicken.

16. kitchenhag — 2/27/08 @ 6:33 pm

Garlic,basil , oregano & of course sea salt & fresh ground pepper.

17. Brave Sir Robin — 2/27/08 @ 6:36 pm

garlic and ginger

(but don’t tell marjoram and lemon)

Or rosemary, garlic and lemon, or . . . .

18. meeso — 2/27/08 @ 6:54 pm

Oooohhhh…my favorite spice combination is Garam Masala!

19. Jill — 2/27/08 @ 7:24 pm

Sesame, Ginger, and Garlic!

20. Aubrey — 2/27/08 @ 6:25 pm

Paprika and Black Pepper as part of a salt rub

21. Barbarainnc — 2/27/08 @ 7:46 pm

I love to cook with garlic, curry, cinnamon , European Style Peppercorns, and lemon-pepper. But not all at the same time. :)

Sprinkle Lemon-pepper on your chicken, then roll in self-rising flour then fry it. This is soooo goood!!!

22. Dawn — 2/27/08 @ 8:42 pm

I love spice! I like to use curry, garlic and pepper to fry my rice. Hmm…

23. JEP — 2/27/08 @ 8:48 pm

Mmm…pumpkin pie spice!

24. maureen — 2/27/08 @ 9:19 pm

I love rosemary plain or combined with lemon or garlic or thyme or all together with pork or chicken or potatoes……this is making me hungry.

25. Tammy — 2/27/08 @ 9:47 pm

I love chocolate cinnamon combos or chocolate and cayenne or chile powder. Love sweet with heat.

By the way love your blog, the salty steak article got me hooked!!!!!!!
    Have gotten so many great ideas reading your blogs!!!

26. Angela — 2/27/08 @ 10:00 pm

I love a Santa Maria Seasoning (from Santa Maria, California). It is a great blend of garlic and pepper, and a few other things. There is nothing better than some of this seasoning on a great piece of tri-tip steak.

27. Bernie — 2/27/08 @ 9:07 pm

I LOVE Cilantro, particularly in fresh salsa, but also in soups as well. Also I use paprika a lot. A week ago I made a Wienerschnitzel with a little more paprika than usual….. simply amazing.

28. RB — 2/27/08 @ 11:14 pm

I love garlic, ginger, and sesame! YUM. Powerful combination that packs a punch.

29. cakewardrobe — 2/27/08 @ 11:39 pm

You’re such a ginormous influence on this community. I think you should get commision for tsp!!! :)

30. Em — 2/27/08 @ 11:55 pm

I made your Ginger, Coriander and Orange Braised Chicken tonight and it was AWESOME! Thanks for the recipe… I’ll def make this again :)

31. mochagold — 2/28/08 @ 12:09 am

Our favorite is homemade Blue Smoke Magic Dust with the recipe from blue smoke restaurant. It’s tasty on any meat or poultry and even eggs sometimes!!!

32. J — 2/28/08 @ 12:25 am

I love freshly ground nutmeg with just about everything. My friends have figured out it is my secret ingredient in everything. I especially love it in black bean recipes with cumin.

33. Shawn — 2/28/08 @ 1:48 am

Maple flavored buttertarts with just a drop of Root beer extract. Spanish or Greek scones, espresso brownies. And Mom told me not to play with my food. Mother would approve. ;-)

34. chris — 2/28/08 @ 1:56 am

I love curry and cayenne pepper. The spicer the better!

35. Ahgoo — 2/28/08 @ 2:13 am

Ginger and garlic and lime/lemon – lots of all.

36. Chee — 2/28/08 @ 2:37 am

Generous amount of five spice powder on pork belly slices. Then, roasted. Perfect.

37. Sig — 2/28/08 @ 3:23 am

red chili powder + coriander + ginger + garlic… those tsp spices are sooo cute!

38. michelle — 2/28/08 @ 3:41 am

lemongrass, ginger, garlic… yumyumyum!

39. Jane — 2/28/08 @ 8:37 am

I love the combination of cloves, nutmeg and cinnamon =D !

40. Allen — 2/28/08 @ 9:10 am

I’m going through a cumin, smoked paprika, and garlic phase right now :-)

41. Jill — 2/28/08 @ 10:48 am

Right now I’m loving lemon zest, garlic, parmesan and salt (tossed with some panko bread crumbs and toasted makes for a yummy, crunchy topping for sauteed curly kale)!

But ginger/lime/soy combo is an all-the-time fave.

42. Stacey — 2/28/08 @ 11:15 am

I absolutely love cinnamon, clove and orange. These spices seem awesome!

43. katy — 2/28/08 @ 11:26 am

i love, love, love smoked paprika lately, especially with garlic and a little saffron!

i could see ginger being particularly worthwhile to buy in individual packages — it loses its flavor so quickly once opened, and i always end up over- or under-gingering recipes because i try to compensate for a lack of freshness with extra volume.

44. Mike — 2/28/08 @ 11:54 am

Dill and Mint. Dill and Mint!!!!

I actually discovered this combination recently while lightly roasting some salmon filets, but have also used it with several kinds of shellfish (specifically shrimp… shrimp loves dill), and could definitely see myself creating a dill/mint vegetable dip of some kind.

-Mike

45. Micki — 2/28/08 @ 12:14 pm

cumin and paprika. mmm

46. Meg — 2/28/08 @ 1:20 pm

I use fresh herbs and aromatics (rosemary, ginger, garlic, mint, etc) more often than I use spices. Plain Jane though it is, I can’t do without freshly ground black pepper in all kinds of cooking. I love the toasty perfume of cumin, especially when there’s a little citrus kick in the dish to brighten it up. I like smoked paprika, especially in a bean-y soup with bacon or pancetta.

47. Chamy — 2/28/08 @ 2:44 pm

Love dill and garlic.

48. Julie — 2/28/08 @ 3:24 pm

I really love them all. Favorite combinations right now are tarragon, thyme , allspice, salt and black pepper as a dry rub for pork. Im getting so hungry reading all these posts!

49. brozy — 2/28/08 @ 4:01 pm

Khorma spices, especially the cardamom.

50. Lynn — 2/28/08 @ 5:01 pm

I think cinnamon and chile rocks!