Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Steak Recipe: Turning Cheap “Choice” Steak into Gucci “Prime” Steak

Turn Cheap Steak into Prime Steak Recipe

How to Make the Most Tender, Flavorful Steak Recipe

If you are a steak-lover, I hope that the title of this post + luscious photo is enticing enough for you to read though the entire article. Because I promise you that it’s worth it. Even if you don’t eat steak, this is a must-read…as you can impress the hell outta your carnivorean friends (and sometimes, when you’re a vegetarian in a herd of carnivores…it would just be nice to have that extra, “dude….you didn’t know that about steak???!” in your pocket.)

My entire family (including the 2 yr old kid) just adores any type of steak recipe…you could probably classify us as professional steak-eaters. In fact, it is my husband’s life-long quest to hone his grilling technique so that our steaks at home turn out charred crusty on the outside and perfectly medium-rare on the inside. With grill marks for show, of course. Seriously, we are too cheap to eat out and would rather cook a nice steak recipe at home. For the past 4 months, we have been experimenting with how to get full, juicy, beefy flavor of a ribeye with butter-knife tenderness of a filet mignon without feel like getting ripped off buying Prime cuts. And after 4 months of eating steak 2x a week, I think we’ve figured it out. So, my friends, I am offering you a very juicy secret, one that will turn an ordinary “Choice” cut of steak into a gucci “Prime” cut (And yes, I know what “Choice” and “Prime” means – it’s the marbling. The salting doesn’t affect fat content – I’m using those terms as a figure of speech and something people can relate to)

Do you know the joy of buying Choice and eating Prime? It’s like buying a Hyundai and getting a free mail-in rebate for a BMW upgrade!!!

The Steak Secret: salt your steaks 1 hour before cooking for every inch of thickness.

Here’s two nice pieces of regular ‘ol supermarket steak. They’re about 1.25 inches thick, so I’ll let them salt for about 1.25 hours.

Season liberally with kosher salt on both sides with kosher or sea salt. If you are used to using regular table salt, this may look like a ton of salt, but just remember that kosher and sea salt flakes are 2-3x the size of table salt.

And then just let it sit on your counter.

After 15 minutes, it will look like this — you can see how the meat’s water is starting to come up to the surface — and that some of the salt is still on the surface of the steak.

After 30 minutes, you’ll see more water:

After almost an hour:

And now 1.25 hours – see all that water?  You can also see that there’s still salt on the surface of the steak.

The next step is to discard the water, rinse the steak really well to rid of all the salt. Pat very dry. Very very dry with clean paper towels so that absolutely no moisture is left on the steak.

Then it’s time to cook.

Before y’all throw a hissy fit, just hear me out. I first learned of this technique from Judy Rodgers’ The Zuni Cafe Cookbook: A Compendium of Recipes and Cooking Lessons from San Francisco’s Beloved Restaurant. Judy massively salts her chicken before roasting, and I’ve adapted the practice to steaks. Thanks to a couple of other books (McGee’s On Food and Cooking and Alton Brown’s I’m Just Here For the Food), and a few fellow bloggers, I have an explanation of how it works.

Oh, and if the drawings look like a 3rd grader did it, too bad….YOU try drawing with a laptop touch-pad and a glass of bourbon on the rocks.

How Salting Works

How Salting Steaks Work

All of you who season JUST before grilling – this is what you are really doing to the meat. Did you know that? All the water comes to the surface and if you don’t pat super-dry, you’re basically STEAMING the meat. Plus, your salt just sits on the surface of the steak, leaving the interior tasteless.

How Salting Steaks Work

Now – note that only a little of the salt gets to go back into the meat. Don’t worry – you aren’t going to be eating all that salt!

How Salting Steaks Work

Bourbon does that to me too.

How Salting Steaks Work

I can hear it now..BUT!!! What of all the water that stayed on the surface of the meat? Aren’t you drawing all the moisture out of the meat? Will it taste like a salt lick? (*%!*%!@#!#!!! I DON’T UNDERSTAND THIS STEAK RECIPE!!!

Pull your pants back on and keep reading…

How Salting Steaks Work

Verification on Technique

How Salting Steaks Work

Cook’s Illustrated January 08 issue (and you can also find it on their paid portion of their website. Just search for “Improving Cheap Roast Beef”) They salt a 4lb roast beef (big, fat, thick meat) and they are using 4 tsp kosher salt – therefore their steak recipe recommends salting for 18-24 hrs. It’s all related: thickness of meat : amount of salt : time.

Salting Steak Recipe Key Points

• Use kosher or sea salt, not table salt <– that is important. It will not work well with tiny tiny grains of table salt. Plus, table salt tastes like shit.
  • Use steaks 1″ or thicker.
  • Follow my timetable (below)
  • If you are Harold McGee, a member of Alton Brown’s research team or Mr. Burke my high school chem teacher…..and think I’m full of B.S…. please let me know. But guys, none of this was in your books. I had to formulate, extrapolate, hypotholate and guesstulate based on your stuff. Highly mental activity.
  • I know this sounds awfully like salt-curing, which dries out meat (like beef jerky). But with salt curing, you use A LOT more salt and leave it salting for A LOOOOOONG time. We’re talking about a little tiny nap here – not weeks – just enough to break down the proteins and flavor the steak throughout.
  • Again, don’t worry about all that salt. Just enough of it gets absorbed into the meat. Most of it gets washed down the drain when you rinse off. Really.
  • I know you’re going to ask…so I’ll answer it for you. Why not brine? You could if you really want water-logged diluted-tasting crappy steak.

I understand that this method will cause chaos, confusion and controversy in your household. But I encourage you to experiment: try adding spices, crushed garlic and rosemary sprigs to the salt, which will then act like Christina Aguilera dragging its entourage of flavors with it into the meat. If confusion in the household becomes unbearable, just whack’em with the hunk of salted steak..

Grilled Steak Recipe with Garlic-Herb Butter

Grilled Steak Recipe with Garlic-Herb Butter

Servings: Prep Time: Cook Time:
Screen Shot 2014-02-19 at 3.02.35 PM

Revised 9/13/10 to make salt ratio and timing easier to remember.

Ingredients:

Directions:

1. Buy a good sized Choice steak. I like mine 1.25 to 1.5 inches thick. Any cut of steak: Filet, Sirloin, Rib Eye, Porterhouse, T-Bone and NY Strip - they all work. Though, please remember to get steak that you'd normally buy to grill. Don't go buying some weird cut like the cow armpit and expect it to taste just like a NY Strip. You can do this with steaks less than 1", just really watch your timing. If your steak is already superbly marbled - cut back on your timing and your salt! The fattier (more marbled) the meat is, the faster the salt works its way through the meat.

2. Sprinkle 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of kosher/sea salt PER SIDE. Use the photos at beginning of the post as guide on how much salt. For every inch thickness of steak, let sit at room temperature for 1 hour.

• Less than 1-inch steak: 30-45 minutes
  • 1 inch thick steak: 1 hour
  • 1.25 inch steak: 1 hour and 15 minutes

If you don't have that much time -- well then, add more salt, cut back the time it sits. It's all related:

Thickness of meat : Amount of Salt : Time

And vice-versa, if you need to stretch your time, use less salt. Example: the above steaks that are 1.25" thick - I should salt for 1 hour 15 minutes. But if my timing works out that I'm not grilling for 2 hours - then I'll cut back on the salt and let it sit for 2 hours.

If you want to salt for more than 2 hours or overnight - sprinkle the steak with 1/2 the amount of salt that I've instructed (look at photos for reference), cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate.

3. Rinse all salt off on both sides, pat very dry with paper towels on both sides <- that part is important. Season with fresh ground pepper (no more salt is needed). Grill to your liking. Top with Garlic-Herb Butter immediately to let it oooooze and aaaahhze all over the steak.

Garlic-Herb Butter Recipe

Garlic Herb Butter

1 stick of unsalted butter, softened (not melted, just softened)
handful of fresh herbs (any combination is fine. My fav is basil and parsley)
1-3 cloves of garlic, smushed in garlic press

To make the Garlic-Herb Butter, combine all ingredients. Lay out a sheet of plastic wrap. Spoon butter mixture on wrap. Roll and shape butter into a log. Refrigerate to firm up for 30 minutes. Slice into 1/4” disks to top the grilled steaks. You can make butter up to 3 days in advance. Make sure you use unsalted butter - the steak is seasoned perfectly already.

Another use for herb butter? Grilled Corn with Lime Cilantro Wasabi Butter

Notice the consistency in ingredients (first photo and the one below): perfect steak always go so well with homemade shoestring fries or homemade potato chips. The green stuff is just to give color to the plate. Unless it has garlic-herb butter slathered all over it too.

Grilled Steak Recipe with Garlic-Herb Butter

Other steak recipes you might enjoy:

dry-bag-aged-steak-40 How to dry age steaks at home with Drybag method

Grilling Kobe Burgers and Sliders Watch me talk about Kobe Beef Burgers on CBS

Artisan Steak Tasting – taste test of 6 steaks from small artisan ranchers

Chipotle Skirt Steak Tacos Skirt Steak Tacos Recipe & Parking Adventures of La Tacqueria

No Knead Bread – so easy a caveman 4-yr old can do it

Negative Calorie Chocolate Cake

Garlic Truffle Shoestring Fries

Tropical Island Salmon: cooking fish low ‘n slow creates the most dreamy, silky fish

*NOTE – I’ve been getting a lot of spam lately, just on this post, so I’ve closed off comments. Thank you!

1,310 Responses to “Steak Recipe: Turning Cheap “Choice” Steak into Gucci “Prime” Steak”

1. CJ — 3/26/12 @ 12:19 pm

Thanks for the tips. I will be going home to try it tonight and tell you the results.

2. Richard — 3/30/12 @ 12:14 pm

I was laughing so much at the side remarks and comments that I forgot to pay attention to the actual salting process… I had to read it again – for the article this time! Great sense of humour.
    Thanks.

3. Pingback: How to Win Friends and Influence People with Cheap Steak « medium-high

4. Jennifer — 4/5/12 @ 11:17 am

This website is Hilarious!!! I am salting the steak now! I cannot wait to keep trying this! Thanks so much!!

5. Len — 4/10/12 @ 4:29 pm

I’m trying to recipe as we speak, with a cheap cut of meat 1 inchish cut. I’m heavily salting both sides with thick pieces of Sea Salt and about a teaspoon of rosemary on 1 side. My idea behind heavily seasoning is to test theories about if it turns out too salty, or if people were just using Table(fine), or not rinsing well enough. I am worried as the salt on the bottom will release the water, but won’t it just re-absorb into the meat? I will post my results later tonight. With salt level, if rosemary made it into the meat.

6. Len — 4/10/12 @ 6:14 pm

Reporting back. My first observation was, I wished I had bought a slightly better cut of meat. I’m not sure what the name was, but it was like 4$ a lb so it was cheap. I put ton’s of salt on both sides and was able to rinse it all off pretty easily. I let the meat rest for 5 min after grilling. What caught my eye was there was alot of “water” still on the bottom of my dish even after letting it rest. The salt content was fine for me, but the fiance and daughter said it was slightly salty. The thing I liked about this is, you don’t need to season it, other than with the salt precook, and the cracked pepper afterwards. As for the butter, I didn’t make a roll. I chopped garlic, parsely, and butter. Put in a small dish and just warmed it microwave, and just dipped steak in it. Was great. Overall a success.

7. Natalie — 4/10/12 @ 11:15 pm

Thank you very much for awesome tips and expelling to well!
    Love it! That it is so detailed

8. Pingback: Anniversary Dinner « welldined.com

9. Pingback: salting steak | Good Life Farm

10. Robert West — 4/18/12 @ 9:23 am

I had such a craving for steak the other day that I did this method to a small chuck roast. That was the best roast I ever ate! Thank you for this!!

11. Kari — 4/19/12 @ 5:45 pm

Wow. Did not work at all. Salty and gross!

12. dories — 4/19/12 @ 5:50 pm

You probably used too much salt or left it too long, hon. It works everytime if once you get it right!

13. LaurenZB — 4/19/12 @ 8:43 pm

Can’t wait to try this with some steaks this weekend! Any idea if this works with pork?

14. dories — 4/19/12 @ 10:03 pm

I tried it on pork, but it didn’t work for me.

15. sheila — 4/27/12 @ 3:24 pm

I tried this and ended up with tough salty steak

16. nanna — 5/2/12 @ 11:25 am

I tried it last night and it worked a charm! Just don’t leave it too long and you’ll be fine.

17. Pingback: Steaks aus der Rinderhüfte « Essen auf den Tisch

18. Nick Z. — 5/5/12 @ 2:31 am

DO NOT TRY THIS !!!
    It was a foolish thing of me trying this ‘salting’ process knowing that it will eventually suck out all the moisture out of the meat.
    I regret wasting a 4 kilo chunk of rib-eye by following steps on this site, the meat turned out extremely dry and even harder than the pieces that did not get the salt treatment. Even my little dog wasn’t able to chew on the meat. If you’re intending to throw away your food, try out this method.
    Whoever invented this philosophy should be dragged to the street and shot !

19. Jeff S. — 5/11/12 @ 11:48 am

By far the very best steak I have ever prepared at home! An absolute winner! Thank you very much for the tip!!!

20. Louise — 5/13/12 @ 11:00 am

tried it last night….dismal failure. Used sea salt, rinsed well and patted dry. It was still tough and too salty. Good meat remains good meat. Don’t know if I have the courage to try it again.

21. Dr Martin Miller — 5/15/12 @ 9:18 am

If you are in no rush; best results would be ‘Brining’ for 24hrs.
    Use about 10% salt to water ratio…for me using ‘Halen Mon’ Salt…I use combination of the Welsh Oak Smoked/Cellery/Plain.

Heat the pan of water, stir in the 10g of salt per 100g of water. Then allow the mixture to cool cold before putting in your steaks.
    It’s to taste really but I find this ratio works for me to give a steak that may have additional sauce/jus.
    I do go 15% but would say that was if you were serving up a steak ‘as is’…again, its to taste.

Same as the salting method, take out the steaks from the brine and pat dry. When steak hits the skillet/pan, flip the steak every 15 seconds (not left each side for the minute or two as some recommend). Do this until you reach the total time given for the thickness of steak you are cooking.

Brining 24hrs will allow the salt do its job to tender and season the steak perfectly throughout.

Hope this helps those that couldn’t manage the heavy salting method which can be hit or miss if you are not used to that way. I must say that heavy salting method could cost you the price of a nice steak if it goes wrong, where as ‘brining’ is a great method that will not cost u a good steak in the bin or jaw ache!

22. Dr Martin Miller — 5/15/12 @ 9:32 am

If you are in no rush; best results would be ‘Brining’ for 24hrs.

23. derek wilburn — 5/15/12 @ 9:23 pm

Awesome read dude! very informative and screw all the hating chumps ! From one carnivore to another great skills bro!

24. Dr Martin Miller — 5/16/12 @ 6:53 am

Thanks Derek, hope you try this next time and would be interested for your feedback, positive am quite sure :-)…BUT hey, if negative or you find a better brine method then let me know also. I love learning new methods and mine won’t suit everyone, as above like you say :-)

Don’t know the names of steak cuts compared to UK cuts, but I’ve done this on most. Rib Eye & Sirloin are our favourites and the occasional fillet. However fillet being an expensive cut, some people still manage to ruin a fillet although a tender piece to start. Brine and quick 15 sec sears either side and it’s done.
    If BBQ…maybe 30 sec flips on 600′F heat.

I brine as a rule now. Red Carnivores of huge steaks are back in this house purely on brining. Prior to this it was always a hit and miss, steak russian roulette! So stuck to Chicken/Pork/Lamb/Fish only.

Another great method I have just started dabbling in is SousVide…WOW…it’s what God invented cattle for :-))

Prep the meat the same, brine 24hrs…vac seal then SousVide a steak for a few hours, you can throw the steak in the waterbath temp set to 131′F and it’s done when you get home 2-6hrs for a 2″ thick sirloin or ribeye…pat dry then flip on a VERY HOT dry skillet afterwards 15 seconds x 4, so 1 minute total and you’re laughing!!
    (Or a nob of brown butter thrown in the hot skillet if u prefer just before steak hits it. Butter needs to be sizzling like crazy, or you will end up having the steak soak up the butter and poaching.)
    Finish: Slice of garlic butter or whatever butter you like once plated, rub it over so you get a nice glazed looking and mega tasty steak.

Comments from friends when they come round to eat is worth the small time using the prep. Try it and see.

25. Jillymo — 5/19/12 @ 3:56 pm

I totally agree with your salting suggestions. It’s a technique I learned from Micheal Symon and it’s makes all the difference in the world. I always plan ahead and salt all/any meat at least overnight. Also bring all your meat to room temp is a simple, delicious tip. Save the water brine for meat you’ll cook on a smoker. Otherwise, the texture suffers terribly!

26. Dr Martin Miller — 5/20/12 @ 8:10 am

Brining is a method I learnt from Chef Heston Blumenthal, not restricted to smokers and if the brine is prepped correctly shouldn’t cause the terrible sufferg .
    Salting overnight will draw out all juices and tighten the protein.

27. damian parish — 5/23/12 @ 4:07 am

Holy buckets, just reading this makes me want to eat raw steak. And your humour is as good as the method used here, how can it be possible that I’m so hungry and laughing at the same time from reading 1 article.

I will have to attempt this, but alas, where I live, cheap store steaks are 1 cm thick if you’re lucky.

I’ve never had a steak the thickness of the images here, unless I go to a restaurant.

Move over chilli dim sims, tonight it’s steak for one. And the garlic herb butter looks like a deadly combination too.

Oh hungerrrr… :)

28. R. Vill — 5/25/12 @ 2:40 am

I bought some tough ribeyes and I thought I was stuck with them. I googled my question and I found your blog. I can’t believe the negative comments on here. I have to say if they are negative then they certainly didn’t do this right. Last night I used your method, lightly salted both of our ribeyes and after an hour they looked exactly like your pics. I love your illustration, we know exactly what to look for and what to expect, very nice touch. And the way you wrote this it’s adorable really. So I followed everything you suggested, lightly salted for 1 hour, rinsed all the salt off, dried them very well, and then I put a little olive oil and cracked pepper and fired up my cast iron until it was lightly smoking. MY GOD! I can’t believe this was the same horrid steak I had tried to cook last week. I tell you it was PERFECTION! It was so tender, so succulent and juicy soft as butter. I have never made a steak that good until tonight when I tried your method again on some choice top sirloin. The top sirloin didn’t have much fat or marbling, but some connective tissue at only 1.97 a pound. This sirloin had the kind of richness of flavor you would get from sizzling fajitas. My cast iron’s are my babies, so I get a nice sear going and let them go 4 minutes on each side on a medium high heat, get a nice crisp on the outside and in the inside a beautiful medium after it has rested about 3 to 5 minutes. I haven’t even tried your herb butter recipe, but all of that said I can’t wait to try it. You rock and I am passing this method on to everyone I know. I love your explanation of how salt breaks down the proteins. It is just pure magic! I usually brine my chicken over night whether I am frying it or baking it, but I wonder how chicken would react with this technique too? I’m thinking in particular when I flatten out and pound out my skinless boneless chicken breasts. I will try it and report back here with my results. I have to say I was skeptical to the part where we rinsed off all the salt and dried them, but again every preconception I had of beef was blasted out of the water quickly as misconceptions. Such a treat to stumble upon your blog. I can honestly say this has already changed my dynamic and approach to beef and how to get it an awe-inspiring steak to impress. A million thanks again and congratulations on the success of your blog.

• SteamyKitchen — 5/25/12 @ 11:04 am

Thanks so much. YES it works on all meats. No need to pound the chicken breasts – just salt the chicken and refrigerate for an hour. I also salt whole chickens overnight (go easy on the wings). Instead of brining turkey, I salt for 1-2 days in refrigerator – it sure beats trying to find a container big enough to hold brine and turkey (just salt, cover and refrigerate). Rinse before cooking, pat dry and season with non-salt seasoning.

29. Katie — 5/26/12 @ 3:56 pm

Ok, this was tender. Not prime tender though.

So salty it’s barely edible.

Will not make this way again.

30. Cindy — 5/27/12 @ 10:16 am

OK, let me first say that I haven’t tried this yet but I am tonight (just not for friends). The problem with your defense, R.Vill, is that SteamyKitchen specifically says ‘Notice that I didn’t say, “sprinkle liberally” or even “season generously.” I’m talking about literally coating your meat. It should resemble a salt lick.’ So now I’m utterly confused as to the amount of salt to use. The instructions say to salt ‘generously’ and ‘liberally’ like a ‘salt lick’(umm, have you ever seen a salt lick or was that supposed to be a joke?) The pictures look like they are a little more than slightly salted and if you lightly salt the meat then you aren’t really following the instructions. Either way, I cannot pass any more judgement until I actually try the recipe. All I am pointing out is that a LOT of people did not have good reports and I think it may be solely due to the instructions.

31. Jim G — 5/28/12 @ 7:08 pm

Great article written with both information and entertainment!! I have to say i was extremely skeptical so i used this on 2 prepackaged ny strips i got from costco which had been frozen…let me tell you they were like butta!! (no not butter..butta!!) but they did come out somewhat salty. I did both sides of the steak but when i went to wash them off all the salt on the underside of the steaks had dissolved/absorbed…should i have flipped them half way during the process?? All and all i was amazed at the results!!

32. Larry — 5/29/12 @ 9:38 am

I have to agree with the good Doctor on this one. I tried dry brining a couple of times on steaks and was disappointed both times. On the other hand, I have wet brined venison (notoriously tough and dry) that came out much juicier and slightly more tender than before. I will try the wet brine on steaks next.

33. hannah — 5/30/12 @ 7:40 am

funny guy…thanks for the tip :~)

34. barb — 6/4/12 @ 7:31 pm

Tried this on steaks that were cheap at the grocery store…..it was to tender and delicious that I will save my money for other things, get the cheaper cuts and fix them this way. I used flaked Kosher salt and they were not salty at all.

35. Julia — 6/5/12 @ 5:43 am

I usu. don’t like to write comments on blogs but the results of trying your method was too amazing to leave silently without a word of thanks. So thank you for sharing this wonderful idea! Our chuck eye steak yesterday was tender and juicy beyond my expectations… turning a $6.29 hunk of meat into a premium high class high quality dinner treat. I think my husband sees me differently now. I was so proud of myself for having found your website! You’ve gained another fan and you can be sure I’ll visit again for other recipes!!

36. Nate — 6/6/12 @ 11:17 pm

This works great and love the garlic herb butter, I had it before in a restaurant and always wanted to know how to make it thanks

37. Jen — 6/9/12 @ 6:24 pm

So I tried this & it seemed to work well. It was a little bit too salty, but I think that’s probably cuz I used more salt than I should. I believe I left out on the counter for about an hr. It was tender (1 inch thick). My only problem is that the meat smelled funny after cooking it. It is well done, but it had this… raw, meat gone bad smell. Is this because I left the meat on the counter for an hour? I also noted that there was a small part of the meat that had turned brown (just a small streak) in the packaging. But I thought this was due to oxidation? Yes, it’s before the due date.

38. June — 6/13/12 @ 10:20 pm

When my husband goes out of town, I like to experiment…knock it off! Mind out of the gutter. I tried this with two, one inch sirloins and coarse Kosher salt. Due to circumstances beyond my control (lost track of time playing an iPad game) it sat for 2 hours instead of one. (It’s a good game) Grilled them five minutes on each side, let them rest, then thinly sliced them and used ridiculous amounts, I mean, a small pat of herb butter. Absolutely fabulous! Had all the great flavor of a sirloin steak, almost no fat (butter doesn’t count) and was super tender. I’ll definitely do this again when my husband’s home.

39. Shawn — 6/20/12 @ 9:51 am

I can’t wait to try this tip!

One small point of contention however. You mentioned to leave the salt on the meat for an hour per inch of thickness. However, later you state that for your 1.25″ thick steak, you left it on for 1hour, 25 minutes. Based on your tip, a 1.25″ steak should sit for 1hour, 15 minutes, (which would be 1.25hours) not 1hour 25 minutes.

40. Nathan — 6/22/12 @ 2:56 am

I am definitely no cook but have done this a few times for friends only. Everyone raves about the texture and taste and insist on setting a date when I will do it again. Fantastic and works perfectly everytime. Anyone who says it did not work clearly is doing something wrong.

41. Pingback: Juicy steak | Sugarmunkee

42. Victoria — 6/29/12 @ 6:05 pm

I tried this today – we had some fairly cheap top sirloin steaks from the grocery store – about 1.5″ thick. I used sea salt on them and left them alone for about an hour and 20 minutes. I rinsed them well, patted them dry, and cooked them up on the stove.

First of all, they are AMAZINGLY tender and moist. YAY.

Second of all, they taste like a salted ham but with a little steak flavor. BOO.

Not sure what I did wrong – maybe a tad too much salt? I will definitely try this again, but if it doesn’t work out again I may have to find something else to try. Very close though: these steaks are usually a dismal failure and are as easy to chew as an old shoe!

43. dories — 6/29/12 @ 6:21 pm

I don’t know if this will help you but it has NEVER failed for me. First of all, I actually use regular table salt. I salt it with maybe just a little more than one would regularly salt their steak, and I also use pepper and onion soup mix (which I put into the blender to make into a powder) for flavor. I leave this sit for about an hour and a half, rinse and then BBQ or fry as usual. Delicious. I know that some people have said that it tastes salty or that they don’t like the taste of the table salt, but maybe that’s because they use more than necessary.

44. Annette — 7/1/12 @ 7:04 pm

I tried this tonight on a thin ribeye. I coated it liberally with sea salt and let it sit on the counter for about 30 minutes, rinsed it and dried it off–then heated some olive oil in my cast iron skillet–cooked for 4 minutes on each side, covered it with foil while my corn on the cob was nuking-( corn on the cob cooked in the microwave IN the husks for 5 minutes for 1 ear is perfection) I was just the tiniest bit too salty but I contribute that to my not perhaps rinsing it enough–at any rate it was tender, flavorful and I will absolutely cook all my steaks this way in the future! Yum and thanks!!!! Love the pics and the “science” behind it.

45. Pingback: Balsamic onion steak « Krista Mae Smith

46. PirateJenny — 7/5/12 @ 6:24 pm

Thank you so much for this recipe & information!!!
    Just want to let you know, after you rinse the salt off, if you save the meat for another day, it keeps really well.

I’m not great at cooking meat…I love steak but am afraid to ruin it. Last week I bought a big chunk of sirloin fillet on sale for $3.99/lb and cut out 1 steak and followed your directions BUT I let it sit too long. The steak was a little too salty but still very good.

The next day I cut up the rest of the hunk and was careful to REALLY follow your directions. :laugh: I cooked one of the steaks immediately and was very pleased–not too salty this time! The rest I dried very well and sprinkled with pepper, rubbed rosemary, garlic powder, and a few drops of Worcestershire sauce. I put them in the fridge.

Well, what with one thing and another, steaks didn’t fit into my plan over the next few days. I was fully expecting them to be brown & spoiled when I pulled them out today; I believe it’s been 5 or 6 days since I salted them. They were still RED and had no off-smell. I just cooked one–one might even say, overcooked it–and it is DIVINE!!! Oh, I am so excited! I finally can make a good steak! :)

47. DK — 7/6/12 @ 9:04 pm

You really want a good steak? Follow these 7 steps and I PROMISE you will never eat at a steakhouse again…

1. Buy USDA Prime bone-in ribeyes about 1 – 1.5″ thick with nice marbling.
    2. Salt as mentioned above.
    3. ADD SMOKE – even if you have a gas grill you can put hickory or mesquite chips in a tinfoil pouch and get them burning.
    4. Use indirect heat, woodchips smoldering on one side of the grill, steaks on the other side on a cold grate (no heat underneath) overall temps should be ~225 F.
    5. Smoke for 20-30 min each side (longer for thicker cuts) and remove steaks.
    6. Turn the grill up as high as it can go (pref 4-500 F) and sear steaks for 1 min per side – remove from grill.
    7. Baste with melted or clarified butter, let rest for 5 minutes and serve.

48. BG — 7/7/12 @ 11:18 pm

Well, I was so excited about this, but it did not turn out so well. I followed directions exactly but steak was still a tad tough and WAY too salty. I’m wondering if I should try again with less salt and letting it sit a little longer.

49. Jo Tejeda — 7/10/12 @ 11:29 pm

I used this with lamb shoulder blade chops, and grilled on my gas grill. It turned out very well, nice and tender. After salting for 1 hour, I rinsed and then applied garlic, rosemary and pepper on both sides, until it was time for grilling. about 3-4 minutes per side, medium rare. Very good, thanks for the technique! I will try this on other cuts.

50. Funny Fiffy — 7/13/12 @ 10:57 am

This was THEE most hilarious article I have ever read! OMG! Are you sure you’re not a comedian?