Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Steak Recipe: Turning Cheap “Choice” Steak into Gucci “Prime” Steak

Turn Cheap Steak into Prime Steak Recipe

How to Make the Most Tender, Flavorful Steak Recipe

If you are a steak-lover, I hope that the title of this post + luscious photo is enticing enough for you to read though the entire article. Because I promise you that it’s worth it. Even if you don’t eat steak, this is a must-read…as you can impress the hell outta your carnivorean friends (and sometimes, when you’re a vegetarian in a herd of carnivores…it would just be nice to have that extra, “dude….you didn’t know that about steak???!” in your pocket.)

My entire family (including the 2 yr old kid) just adores any type of steak recipe…you could probably classify us as professional steak-eaters. In fact, it is my husband’s life-long quest to hone his grilling technique so that our steaks at home turn out charred crusty on the outside and perfectly medium-rare on the inside. With grill marks for show, of course. Seriously, we are too cheap to eat out and would rather cook a nice steak recipe at home. For the past 4 months, we have been experimenting with how to get full, juicy, beefy flavor of a ribeye with butter-knife tenderness of a filet mignon without feel like getting ripped off buying Prime cuts. And after 4 months of eating steak 2x a week, I think we’ve figured it out. So, my friends, I am offering you a very juicy secret, one that will turn an ordinary “Choice” cut of steak into a gucci “Prime” cut (And yes, I know what “Choice” and “Prime” means – it’s the marbling. The salting doesn’t affect fat content – I’m using those terms as a figure of speech and something people can relate to)

Do you know the joy of buying Choice and eating Prime? It’s like buying a Hyundai and getting a free mail-in rebate for a BMW upgrade!!!

The Steak Secret: salt your steaks 1 hour before cooking for every inch of thickness.

Here’s two nice pieces of regular ‘ol supermarket steak. They’re about 1.25 inches thick, so I’ll let them salt for about 1.25 hours.

Season liberally with kosher salt on both sides with kosher or sea salt. If you are used to using regular table salt, this may look like a ton of salt, but just remember that kosher and sea salt flakes are 2-3x the size of table salt.

And then just let it sit on your counter.

After 15 minutes, it will look like this — you can see how the meat’s water is starting to come up to the surface — and that some of the salt is still on the surface of the steak.

After 30 minutes, you’ll see more water:

After almost an hour:

And now 1.25 hours – see all that water?  You can also see that there’s still salt on the surface of the steak.

The next step is to discard the water, rinse the steak really well to rid of all the salt. Pat very dry. Very very dry with clean paper towels so that absolutely no moisture is left on the steak.

Then it’s time to cook.

Before y’all throw a hissy fit, just hear me out. I first learned of this technique from Judy Rodgers’ The Zuni Cafe Cookbook: A Compendium of Recipes and Cooking Lessons from San Francisco’s Beloved Restaurant. Judy massively salts her chicken before roasting, and I’ve adapted the practice to steaks. Thanks to a couple of other books (McGee’s On Food and Cooking and Alton Brown’s I’m Just Here For the Food), and a few fellow bloggers, I have an explanation of how it works.

Oh, and if the drawings look like a 3rd grader did it, too bad….YOU try drawing with a laptop touch-pad and a glass of bourbon on the rocks.

How Salting Works

How Salting Steaks Work

All of you who season JUST before grilling – this is what you are really doing to the meat. Did you know that? All the water comes to the surface and if you don’t pat super-dry, you’re basically STEAMING the meat. Plus, your salt just sits on the surface of the steak, leaving the interior tasteless.

How Salting Steaks Work

Now – note that only a little of the salt gets to go back into the meat. Don’t worry – you aren’t going to be eating all that salt!

How Salting Steaks Work

Bourbon does that to me too.

How Salting Steaks Work

I can hear it now..BUT!!! What of all the water that stayed on the surface of the meat? Aren’t you drawing all the moisture out of the meat? Will it taste like a salt lick? (*%!*%!@#!#!!! I DON’T UNDERSTAND THIS STEAK RECIPE!!!

Pull your pants back on and keep reading…

How Salting Steaks Work

Verification on Technique

How Salting Steaks Work

Cook’s Illustrated January 08 issue (and you can also find it on their paid portion of their website. Just search for “Improving Cheap Roast Beef”) They salt a 4lb roast beef (big, fat, thick meat) and they are using 4 tsp kosher salt – therefore their steak recipe recommends salting for 18-24 hrs. It’s all related: thickness of meat : amount of salt : time.

Salting Steak Recipe Key Points

• Use kosher or sea salt, not table salt <– that is important. It will not work well with tiny tiny grains of table salt. Plus, table salt tastes like shit.
  • Use steaks 1″ or thicker.
  • Follow my timetable (below)
  • If you are Harold McGee, a member of Alton Brown’s research team or Mr. Burke my high school chem teacher…..and think I’m full of B.S…. please let me know. But guys, none of this was in your books. I had to formulate, extrapolate, hypotholate and guesstulate based on your stuff. Highly mental activity.
  • I know this sounds awfully like salt-curing, which dries out meat (like beef jerky). But with salt curing, you use A LOT more salt and leave it salting for A LOOOOOONG time. We’re talking about a little tiny nap here – not weeks – just enough to break down the proteins and flavor the steak throughout.
  • Again, don’t worry about all that salt. Just enough of it gets absorbed into the meat. Most of it gets washed down the drain when you rinse off. Really.
  • I know you’re going to ask…so I’ll answer it for you. Why not brine? You could if you really want water-logged diluted-tasting crappy steak.

I understand that this method will cause chaos, confusion and controversy in your household. But I encourage you to experiment: try adding spices, crushed garlic and rosemary sprigs to the salt, which will then act like Christina Aguilera dragging its entourage of flavors with it into the meat. If confusion in the household becomes unbearable, just whack’em with the hunk of salted steak..

Grilled Steak Recipe with Garlic-Herb Butter

Grilled Steak Recipe with Garlic-Herb Butter

Servings: Prep Time: Cook Time:
Screen Shot 2014-02-19 at 3.02.35 PM

Revised 9/13/10 to make salt ratio and timing easier to remember.

Ingredients:

Directions:

1. Buy a good sized Choice steak. I like mine 1.25 to 1.5 inches thick. Any cut of steak: Filet, Sirloin, Rib Eye, Porterhouse, T-Bone and NY Strip - they all work. Though, please remember to get steak that you'd normally buy to grill. Don't go buying some weird cut like the cow armpit and expect it to taste just like a NY Strip. You can do this with steaks less than 1", just really watch your timing. If your steak is already superbly marbled - cut back on your timing and your salt! The fattier (more marbled) the meat is, the faster the salt works its way through the meat.

2. Sprinkle 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of kosher/sea salt PER SIDE. Use the photos at beginning of the post as guide on how much salt. For every inch thickness of steak, let sit at room temperature for 1 hour.

• Less than 1-inch steak: 30-45 minutes
  • 1 inch thick steak: 1 hour
  • 1.25 inch steak: 1 hour and 15 minutes

If you don't have that much time -- well then, add more salt, cut back the time it sits. It's all related:

Thickness of meat : Amount of Salt : Time

And vice-versa, if you need to stretch your time, use less salt. Example: the above steaks that are 1.25" thick - I should salt for 1 hour 15 minutes. But if my timing works out that I'm not grilling for 2 hours - then I'll cut back on the salt and let it sit for 2 hours.

If you want to salt for more than 2 hours or overnight - sprinkle the steak with 1/2 the amount of salt that I've instructed (look at photos for reference), cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate.

3. Rinse all salt off on both sides, pat very dry with paper towels on both sides <- that part is important. Season with fresh ground pepper (no more salt is needed). Grill to your liking. Top with Garlic-Herb Butter immediately to let it oooooze and aaaahhze all over the steak.

Garlic-Herb Butter Recipe

Garlic Herb Butter

1 stick of unsalted butter, softened (not melted, just softened)
handful of fresh herbs (any combination is fine. My fav is basil and parsley)
1-3 cloves of garlic, smushed in garlic press

To make the Garlic-Herb Butter, combine all ingredients. Lay out a sheet of plastic wrap. Spoon butter mixture on wrap. Roll and shape butter into a log. Refrigerate to firm up for 30 minutes. Slice into 1/4” disks to top the grilled steaks. You can make butter up to 3 days in advance. Make sure you use unsalted butter - the steak is seasoned perfectly already.

Another use for herb butter? Grilled Corn with Lime Cilantro Wasabi Butter

Notice the consistency in ingredients (first photo and the one below): perfect steak always go so well with homemade shoestring fries or homemade potato chips. The green stuff is just to give color to the plate. Unless it has garlic-herb butter slathered all over it too.

Grilled Steak Recipe with Garlic-Herb Butter

Other steak recipes you might enjoy:

dry-bag-aged-steak-40 How to dry age steaks at home with Drybag method

Grilling Kobe Burgers and Sliders Watch me talk about Kobe Beef Burgers on CBS

Artisan Steak Tasting – taste test of 6 steaks from small artisan ranchers

Chipotle Skirt Steak Tacos Skirt Steak Tacos Recipe & Parking Adventures of La Tacqueria

No Knead Bread – so easy a caveman 4-yr old can do it

Negative Calorie Chocolate Cake

Garlic Truffle Shoestring Fries

Tropical Island Salmon: cooking fish low ‘n slow creates the most dreamy, silky fish

*NOTE – I’ve been getting a lot of spam lately, just on this post, so I’ve closed off comments. Thank you!

1,310 Responses to “Steak Recipe: Turning Cheap “Choice” Steak into Gucci “Prime” Steak”

1. janice — 10/17/11 @ 10:51 pm

can i still do the salting method even if i have marinated the beef already? If I had found your site earlier I would not have done the marination.

2. Charles — 10/18/11 @ 12:16 am

Excellent article! I have been frying my rib-eye steaks with Montreal seasoning, but I’m adding the seasoning just before frying. I tried to fry three steaks at the same time yesterday, and ended up with a bunch of water in the pan. This got me thinking, which is how I found your article. I have a few questions, though. First, is it safe to leave the steak out for 1-2 hours? Could you explain how this is safe? Also, even if I add seasoning to the salt, I should rinse it off with water and pat clean, correct? You’re saying that the seasoning should be soaked into the meat through salting, and no longer needs to be present on top of the meat? Lastly, will your method work for frying? Do you have any tips? No lid on the pan? Olive oil okay? I can’t wait to try this, as I have been on a mission to get my steaks right.

Best regards,
    Charles

3. B — 10/18/11 @ 4:30 am

Can you use epsom salt instead? I want to try this out tonight and have checked all my local stores, none of them have kosher salt.
    All I have is table salt or epsom salt :(

4. Ted Wagner — 10/23/11 @ 6:42 pm

I am trying this with rib eyes tonight!!!

One question: Will it be okay to delay the cooking after the salting / rinsing / patting? (I can throw the steaks back in the fridge for one to several hours to no ill effect?)

5. Ted Wagner — 10/23/11 @ 6:46 pm

B: I hope Jaden responds to you, but do not use epsom salt! That is magnesium sulphate, which has neither sodium nor chloride, you will just ruin the meat!

• SteamyKitchen — 10/24/11 @ 8:34 pm

Oh my goodness, I was on vacay and didn’t have chance to respond to everyone! (Thank you Ted, for stepping in)

B: I hope you didn’t use Epson salt!!! Last resort, use regular table salt, but just halve the amount of salt.

6. IndianaJohn — 10/28/11 @ 10:40 pm

I qualify myself as the family livetockman. Along with fattening the hogs for market, I am the family butcher, who salt cures the hams, bacons and variety meats for the smokehouse. He cuts the hickory too.

A agree with and reccommend the salt rub and rinse as described for meat preparation. Including cut or whole poultry.

Knowledge of the salt is everything. Any non-iodized salt can be used. Canning salt is much more economical than kosher which is the same, except you don’t pay the Rabbi. It is the iodine that is added to table salt, that makes salted meat cook up dry and stringy.
    In cooking, use non-iodized salt only. Enjoy.

7. Big John — 10/30/11 @ 12:34 pm

This is absolute nonsence. I once worked in the wold’s largest fresh mest food lab…we knew a LOT about meat tenderness. Salt most certainly will NOT tenderize meat. It is collagen protein that holds met fibers together, and collagen is not salt soluble. Muscle protein (myosin) is salt soluble but will not affect tenderness. And leeching moisture out of the meat using salt is supposed to aid in tenderness? ridiculous.
    Junk science misinformation by the author.

8. ddferrari — 11/3/11 @ 2:32 pm

You know, Johnny boy, sometimes science just doesn’t get it right. When some of the foremost cooks in the world- Like Alton Brown and America’s Test Kitchen swear by a particular method, there is a reason: it has been tried thousands of times and it WORKS.

Working in a food lab and being a good cook are two very different things. Apparently what they DIDN’T teach you is how to thoroughly read an article… later in the piece,it is explained that the meat will reabsorb the briny water and flavor the meat all the way through, as well as tenderize it. This method has been demonstrated on countless cooking shows and in recipe books dating back decades.

Did you TRY this method before shooting it down? Nah, I didn’t think so. Hypothesis – experiment = bad scientist

9. Pingback: Steak Recipe: Turning Cheap “Choice” Steak into Gucci “Prime” Steak | Steamy Kitchen Recipes | All Things Marvin

10. Idina — 11/8/11 @ 5:22 am

I tried your recipe today and unfortunately it did not work. my family was very upset because we had to throw all our steaks. they were far too salty. i followed all your steps but it didn’t work. i don’t buy your method.

11. ttm013 — 11/10/11 @ 1:21 pm

Made this last night using Choice NY steaks from Costco. Came out damn good. Coarse ground pepper to coat the steaks is better than the finer or pre-ground peppers. I normally use montreal steak seasoning and i noticed that although the meat is cooked to a good medium/medium-rare, the outer layer is a bit more dry. With this method, i noticed a consistent moisture/juiciness through the whole steak. Excellent recipe and explanation of how it works!

12. TinaDancer — 11/11/11 @ 7:42 pm

Umm, Epsom Salt is not really a salt you would want to consume (unless of course you are constipated!) It is mostly used for soaking your body…you would only want to consume it as a laxative and it tastes TERRIBLE! Using epsom salt in place of kosher salt for this dish would be kind of like swapping milk of magnesia for the milk in your scrambled eggs, or using baby powder in place of powdered sugar on donuts! If you do decide to do this, make sure you have plenty of TP for you and all of your guests!

13. Jhen — 11/13/11 @ 4:04 pm

We have tried this several times, with several different kinds of steak, and across the board, it’s been fantastic. Thank you so much!

14. Lex Vann — 11/14/11 @ 5:07 pm

I just tried this for the 1st time. I had four 3/4″ top sirloin steaks. As mentioned earlier in this article…I was met with much skepticism from family members. So I only treated one. Followed the directions as closely as I could (even the crushed garlic and rosemary bit). I only added crushed pepper prior to grilling. I just took it off the grill (med-rare closer to rare – 6 min total cooking time) The out come…OMG is what my wife and kids all said when I put a piece in their mouths…sounds like a major success to me! Too bad I get to eat the rest and they get the other ones that weren’t done.
    Thank you so much!!!

15. Carolyn — 11/16/11 @ 7:38 pm

Thanks, you saved me $$$. I tried on top sirloin, kosher salt ~ 1.25 hours, rinse, dry and threw on the grill. It was the most tender tastey moist top sirloin I ever had in my life! Thanks, I can’t wait for the next steak dinner.

16. Pingback: Venison Roast | 2 Acres and some Volkswagens

17. Pingback: Steak recpites | Utripa

18. nikki — 11/18/11 @ 5:52 pm

this did not work for me, I coated a 1″ thick rump steak in sea salt and let it rest for 1 hour, then I thoroughly rinsed off the salt before cooking the steak to medium rare, the results were disappointing, yes the steak was nice and tender but every bite tasted too salty, so despite rinsing off the steak the overall flavor was of salt, not steak! and I did follow your recipe to the letter.

19. MisPrep — 11/19/11 @ 5:13 pm

Epsom salt is for medicinal purposes dont ever put it on your food.

20. Megan — 11/21/11 @ 1:51 pm

I love this explanation and I can’t wait to try it! I have forever been doomed with the inability to cook steaks, although I have had sucess with an olive oil & salt rub/marinade on a bbq. My question is: during the +/- 1 hour that the steak is soaking in the “salt rub” do you leave it out at room temp or do you refrigerate it? Thanks! Looking forward to yummy steaks!!

21. CharlesAFerg — 11/21/11 @ 8:42 pm

Agreed, mine came out the same way.. To the letter, but far too salty, blech!

22. turboculinar — 11/23/11 @ 5:52 am

Brining actually works very well. You have osmosi, the only difference is once all the water comes out then the cell walls absorb the liquid. Wich is what you want. A properly made brine should not only be salty, but also contain lots of aromatics and seasoning like dried herbs and spices. The back and forth process of releasing juice and then reabsorbing really shrinks and then stretches the cell walls which is how you get really tender meat with the combo of lots of aromatic salty brine. Yummyness.

23. Barry — 11/26/11 @ 8:46 pm

The process is tempting me to try but I get really upset at all the hoity toities saying use kosher or sea salt. I will admit that the courser salt will probably work better for this but any salt from the ground was dried out from sea water and kosher simply means it has been blessed a Rabbi. I defy anyone to tell the difference.

24. Paulette — 11/28/11 @ 4:59 am

I do NOT salt it twice. I also leave my steaks overnight in the fridge without covering them. It dries out the meat really well with a lot less salt. I have never had a more tender juicy steak! YUM! This is not my recipe however, I found it online at another site. But it works and the meat is not too salty. And it is TENDER TENDER TENDER!

I use sea salt because i think the idea of declaring salt (a non-living thing) as kashrut or non kashrut is absurd. Seriously, what an irrational thing to do! Salt is… uh.. salt people, even if it is sea salt, once you wash it and dry it, it is just plain old salt. What I will say is that you must NOT use fine ground salt. That will make the meat too salty even with a lighter rub.

You must use coarse salt.

25. Pingback: Wakey Wakey Eggs and Steaky | Norcal Foodies

26. alissa — 11/29/11 @ 8:26 pm

I just tried this tonight for the first time. What a difference! I actually enjoyed the steak I made. I’ve only started eating red meat in the last couple of years and not very often. Up until 2 years ago, I basically had no experience with cooking it myself. In an effort to start learning, without a lot of expense or possible waste, I bought a family pack of 12 steaks. Well, not knowing what to do, I tried pan frying, broiling, marinating(although not very long) and still tough, chewy, in a word, bleeeeh! I’d eat as much as I could, since I was hungry but most of it went untouched. Did I mention that I’ve been going through this pack of 12 for the last year? I was down to 2 steaks with no plans to make that buying mistake again. Over Thanksgiving dinner, there was a chef present talking to some others about cooking and I overheard them talking about brining steaks. So I did a google search and saw you had a post about it. Thank you! I don’t have to be a red meat drop-out. I am going to definitely be using this technique again and again.

27. Colin — 12/4/11 @ 10:46 pm

Charles,

I hope that my responses will do Jaden justice.

First, the FDA an any chef will tell you that it’s not safe to leave food out like this. In reality, it’s usually fine for an hour or two. There is ALWAYS the chance that bacteria could get on the food while it is sitting out, but then again, the same could happen sitting in your fridge. The meat COULD spoil in the two hours you have it sitting out, but realistically it is highly unlikely. So in the end, it is your call. But I use Jaden’s method frequently and have yet to get sick. The chances that you will get sick – unless you have a filthy kitchen completely ridden with bacteria – are quite slim.

Secondly, the process by which the liquid/salt exit and enter the meat will draw in additional flavorings on the meat. If these are finely ground spices like cayenne, for example, much more of their flavor will find their way into the meat than you will get by simply laying a piece of rosemary on top. Therefore, be careful that you don’t overdo it with finely ground spices. Anyways, no matter what you add to the salt, at least some of the flavor will be imparted into the meat. You could go on to add more of your favorite rub on the outside of the meat after you’ve rinsed it if you feel it’s necessary.

Finally, half the time I cook my steaks in cast-iron using a stovetop to broiler method commonly used in restaurants. If you have only been cooking your steaks on a stovetop I would highly recommend this method as it doesn’t really add any additional work. I would also highly recommend investing in a cast-iron skillet if you don’t already have one. You can actually find them really cheap at thrift stores. Anyways, you want to quickly sear the steak on the stovetop (2-4 minutes at high heat on a pan that has been preheated for 10 minutes) and then flip it and transfer to a 500 degree preheated oven for the remainder of the cooking time, which will vary depending on the type and size of steak. This transfer to an oven is part of the reason that a cast-iron is very nice. I guarantee you that this method – in combination with Jaden’s salting technique – will give you a (cheap) steak that tastes and feels like you payed $40 bucks for it at a classy restaurant.

Happy eating!

28. Bethany — 12/6/11 @ 4:05 pm

I loved this post! super funny! My cousin bought these steaks and after cooking a couple realized they weren’t good at all! so he tasked me with finding a good way to cook them so as not to waste the money he spent on them. Willin to try about anything, and In bio last semester we just went over pretty much what you just said, and I don’t know why I didn’t just apply the same school of thought. anyway, good post, loved it! happy cooking!

29. Scott — 12/9/11 @ 1:17 am

I followed the recipe exactly. It was unfortunately and overwhelmingly salty. I’ll do something with the meat, maybe a stir fry or something.

Judging by the salt levels in most prepared foods on grocery store shelves, I think a lot of people must have a big tolerance for salt. I guess I don’t, as I only use enough in my cooking to bring out flavor.

The texture was definitely good. There must be a better way to accomplish the goal.

30. Donna — 12/10/11 @ 6:22 pm

Best steak hubby ever made–thanks for the prep and cooking instructions!

31. Andrew — 12/17/11 @ 12:04 am

I think that guy was just trying to be funny. I mean he couldn’t have been that stupid, could he?

32. RC — 12/18/11 @ 7:20 pm

Ive been looking forward to using this recipe, unfortunately I didn’t NOT see the same results as promised in the article :( my meat was dry and salty in spots, it seemed to be even dryer and harder than when I do nothing to it :/ very disappointed I was hoping this was the secret method I’d been hoping for :(

33. Jes — 12/19/11 @ 5:28 pm

What a great post. As an expatriated 4th generation ranch kid away at college, I have eaten a fair amount of beef.

I can tell you my family has literally been preparing steaks with this technique for generations. My great-grandmother would use a ton of kosher salt, leave them out for at least an hour, sear them in a blisteringly hot, well seasoned cast iron skillet, and never cook them beyond medium rare.

Eating your own high quality grass fed beef is just a bonus…

34. B — 12/22/11 @ 12:32 am

I just wanted to say thank you so much for the great technique, I now never cook my cheap non-aged supermarket steaks any other way.
    As for other peoples experiences of it being too salty, I would recommend using sea salt, as it has more minerals and less sodium. Also make sure there is no additional salt in the rub you are using on the steak, I mix my own without any salt for right before I sear.
    I also let the meat rest in between a few layers of paper towels, I find that the resulting consistency results in closer results to a proper dry aged steak.
    The best trick that I use is using half sea salt/kosher salt and the rest smoked sea salt for the salt rub. The smoked sea salt gives it incredible smoky flavor for most nights when I just feel like pan searing on my cast iron.

35. Pingback: Holiday Leftovers – Beef Tenderloin Bagel with Mozzarella | ~Dixie Chik Cooks~ Holiday Leftovers – Beef Tenderloin Bagel with Mozzarella | A Southern Belle who thinks about what's for dinner while eating lunch.

36. Joshl — 12/28/11 @ 12:51 am

Big John — Maybe you missed the part about Osmosis which is the key to this technique working… and that is certainly NOT junk science

37. Nice article — 12/29/11 @ 12:58 pm

I was looking for info on how to tenderize a pc of steak (to use in a stir fry) for my Dad –(101+) — he just loves steak and it getting harder and harder for me to put a great beef meal in front of him – where he does not complain about “cant chew” the beef — this worked great, but I will say that I did pound the steak down a big before I tried the salt —
    Just Fantastic –and it worked — with a wonderful piece of angus serloin — (ps — he still has most of his own teeth) -no idea how it would work for an elder that has a set of denture’s
    — Many tks for all this info –

38. Billy Griffiths — 1/2/12 @ 4:34 am

I used this method with coarse sea salt and loved the result! If you end up with very salty meat, you’re doing something wrong. My steak was very tasty, very soft and perfectly seasoned. Excellent tip!! Thanks a lot!!

39. Brooke — 1/4/12 @ 10:52 am

yes! yes! yes! was delicious! Just returned from Spain where I ate at an Argentinean restaurant and had meat I could practically cut with a spoon. Cooked a steak here in the states and was ever so sad thinking I had been ruined to meat at home forever…until today! This was perfect! Not the same as christmas day in spain, but there are probably other variables at play, I am sure….Thank you! Can’t wait to try your slow cooked salmon next :)

40. dawn — 1/4/12 @ 10:52 pm

Makes sense to me, I have always done this with pork chops but never knew why other than cuz my Great Grandma said to….also keeps the fat ring around the chop from curling.

41. Pingback: Some Grilling Mistakes You Should Be Aware Of « Get Ready for Grilling

42. Fred — 1/7/12 @ 11:07 pm

Followed the directions used strip steak.. I can never grill this cut properly, so tried the technique. I found the finished steak a tiny bit too salty for my taste but I may have used too much [coarse ground kosher salt].. The steak was very tasty and I ate every bit. Just won’t have any salt tomorrow!
    Thanks for the article, Freds

43. Mary — 1/15/12 @ 6:22 pm

Just an average cook who loves steak who stumbled across this when trying to find a way to tenderize my steak. I’m a little nervous to salt the hell out of my steak …. but after reading where you wrote … “because regular salt tastes like shit” I laughed out loud and knew you are my kind of girl! Who says something like that on their blog??? Cool people that’s who! I’m adding Kosher salt to my steak now – will repost how it turns out if I remember to. (P.S. – your pictures and drawings are totally fine .. 100 times better than I could do and they look good to me)

44. Damian — 1/19/12 @ 3:23 am

I’ve become obsessed with kalbi (Korean BBQ short ribs), made with 100% grass-fed beef, but I’m struggling with tenderizing. Pouding and scoring didn’t do much. And I’m allergic to most ingredients found in traditional Korean marinades. I tried marinating in fruit juice alone, but that, ironically, seemed to make the meat tougher, and diminished the crunchy texture that I so love. I’m quite happy with unmarinated kalbi, so I thought I’d give this method a try. My question is:

How long should I salt the meat if it’s only between an eighth and a quarter inch thick (cut LA-style)?

If I salt it for too long, will it turn out too salty?

Any other suggestions for tenderizing grass-fed kalbi?

Thanks!

45. Jen Greyson — 1/20/12 @ 7:03 pm

Totally wanted to pin this to pinterest! :(

Super excited to try this tonight with a sirloin!

46. Jan — 1/24/12 @ 8:23 am

I read the whole thing all the way through!! You are hysterical and had me laughing – my kind of sense of humor!! and I’ll kosher salt the shit out of my steak tonite!

47. Randi — 1/24/12 @ 12:50 pm

Hello! Can I do this method with dry aged steak or will it make it toooo dry/salty etc…

This sounds great! I’m soooo excited!!

48. MK — 1/24/12 @ 2:56 pm

This is an interesting method, which I will try! I usually salt my steak after frying (dried and oiled steaks, very hot, dry pan).

49. Ben Russell — 1/24/12 @ 5:21 pm

Barry,

Kosher salt doesn’t taste any different, the grocery store recipes all call for it because it costs more !…lol

50. Damian — 1/25/12 @ 3:15 pm

Might it be better to use rock salt instead of kosher salt, so as to minimize the risk of over-salting?