Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Intervention

Yesterday morning, after forcing myself to get up and sending the boys off to school, I collapsed back to sleep on the couch. There was absolutely no reason why I was so tired, I had gotten a full night’s sleep, hung around all weekend long without answering a single email and even assigned myself zero responsibilities for Monday.

I oculd have just draped myself on the couch all day long, watching the last few episodes of Glee (I’ve been on a non-stop marathon since discovering it on Netflix and Hulu) but then the lazy Monday would very easily eclipse into a lazy Tuesday, Wednesday and so forth.

On top of that, the site was a little broken and Scott was frantically trying to fix the bugs people were experiencing. Normally when my site breaks, I turn into a complete AAAACK!!!freakazoidAAAACK!!!, but yesterday I just was like, “ehhh. site’s down” and resumed Season 2 Episode 17.

Clearly, there was something wrong with me. And when I’m in a funk, there’s only ONE way to fix that.

A makeover.

So I called my hair salon and booked an appointment with whichever stylist was available in 2 hours.

After donning the shower curtain (I hate those things!) I sat in the chair. Sarah asked, “So what are we going to do today?”

“Cut it all off. All of it.”

“Uh, ALL of it? You mean like 2 inches?”

“No. ALL OF IT. And let’s make whatever hair is left BRIGHT RED.”

Sarah clearly was not accustomed to this sort of deranged clientele and she kept trying to shake me back to reality, knowing full well that if I woke up tomorrow morning with a Ronald McDonald colored stubble on top of my head I’d probaby return to the studio with my meat cleaver.

Sarah brought out color swatches, “How about a caramel highlights?” I shook my head. “Okay, how about this violety auburn?”

“Woman. I said BRIGHT! VIBRANT! Get me outta this funk!”

She conferred with another stylist, most likely telling her, “okay, call the cops if she makes any sudden movements or reaches for my clippers,” and then hestitantly brought me out a cup of hot coffee, “Here you go, sweetie.”

A few sips of hot coffee later and….uh….I snapped out of it. OH BULLDOG BARNACLES. What have I done?????

All I needed was caffeine and I’m going to end up looking like that girl from Eurythmics…..except Asian. and short. and wearing a shower curtain. and speaking in front of a crowd at BlogHer Food in 4 days.

Luckily, Sarah had just started.

I must say I can rock it with the tin foil look. Oddly, my iPhone suddenly had better reception with the foil on my head.

After 30 minutes of color setting in, it was time to cut.

Sarah asked, “So would you like to donate to Locks of Love?

After my little caffeine infusion, I really hadn’t planned to go through cutting all of my hair. Maybe a more sensible trim to knock off an inch or two. It had taken me 3 years to grow from just under my ear (the photo top right in my header) to just a few inches above my waistline. I had long, luscious, shiny, flippable hair that I like to curl into flowing spirals.

I still had half a bottle of Bumble & Bumble Brilliantine, which promised to give me “polish and a sort of languid, slept-in, sexy look” every morning.

I had sexy big hair.

Cut it all off? I could selfishly say no thank you, but…..the children. How could I not!?

“Uh, okay, I guess.”

To donate, the hair must be braided into a ponytail and the hair must be at least 10-inches long.

For just a moment, hold out your two hands to measure 10-inches. That’s a lot of hair. Which meant I was going to end up bald after all.

Every muscle in my neck was tense.

Sarah put my hair in a tight ponytail at the nape of my neck.

Yup, that measures 10-inches.

Braided it.

And the moment of truth. I held my breath so long I almost passed out until I realized that if I moved an inch in any direction it might mean that her razor-sharp scissors would accidentally cut too much off.

CHOMP CHOMP CHOMP SNIP!!!!!!

You know what? It was such a freeing, liberating experience! It felt like I just lost a bunch of emotional baggage (who knew I stored baggage in my hair?) and I think I even lost 2 pounds as I have very thick, heavy hair.

I was giggling so much that I couldn’t hold my phone still enough to take a photo!

The result? The cheapest therapy I’ve ever had. $100 for cut, color and a donation to Locks of Love on top of that.

Scott took this photo this morning and reminded me that I look even younger than my “pretend age” of…..uh…29.

Oh heck, forget fibbing about my age anymore!

Hello, world, I’m nearly 39 years old!

92 Responses to “Intervention”

1. Gaby — 5/17/11 @ 11:45 am

Jaden you look HOT!!!! love the short sassy look :)

2. veronica — 5/17/11 @ 11:48 am

I love it. This is exactly what I did before I went to college. I was always afraid to do it, but I finally conjured up the courage and told my hairstylist to chop it off. Congrats on a fresh start and new ‘do :)

3. Jenny Flake — 5/17/11 @ 11:48 am

Jaden, you and your haircut are gorgeous!! Fun photos, I can just imagine holding that ponytail of hair freaking out!! Woohoo for Atlanta this weekend!

4. LOVE it! You look smokin’!

5. dena — 5/17/11 @ 11:55 am

Looking good! My son wanted to donate to Locks of Love in honor of his sister for quite awhile now, but he still has an inch or so to go.

6. Aggie — 5/17/11 @ 11:55 am

Yes! What a fun post! I love your new look, your hair and you are beautiful! I’m a little jealous of your bare neck actually, heading into summer and all…hmmmm. Fantastic donation.

7. chalbe — 5/17/11 @ 11:56 am

You look great, this from somebody who can’t grow her hair past her shoulders. I’ve never been able to flick my hair back…it’s blond and fine as a baby’s.

8. jlhpisces — 5/17/11 @ 11:57 am

Gorgeous!!! Love love love the highlights!! And kudos for donating to Locks of Love.

9. MontanaMom — 5/17/11 @ 11:58 am

Helllooooo Gorgeous!!!

10. Angie — 5/17/11 @ 12:01 pm

You hair is sooo freakin cute, and sexy!

11. My neighbor just chopped off her hair for Locks of Love and her daughter is growing out her hair for the same cause. I love it!!! Some little girl will be so excited to get your hair!!! :)

The shorter hair is gorgeous on you!

12. Noêmia — 5/17/11 @ 12:15 pm

You were beautiful!
    :)))

13. Marybeth — 5/17/11 @ 12:18 pm

Awesome makeover! That was a good thing to donate to Locks of Love, too. Sometimes, it takes a good shake-up to get you going again…LOL! That will definitely do it! BTW-I had a similar stylist freak out after my son was born. It was was about 18 years ago, and my hair was long (almost to my waist). It was a beautiful reddish brown, and it intrigued my toddler son so much. For my birthday, my mom told me to get a haircut and not my usual trim/wet cut…LOL! Being tired of keeping it pulled back so my toddler couldn’t grab it, I decided to get it cut off…ALL of it! My stylist kept asking me was I sure that I wanted to do that? Back then, Locks of Love was not as well-known, and my hair was colored. I told the stylist, yes, I want it all gone…by the time she finished, there was a cloud of red hair about an inch thick on the floor and I was sporting the Dorothy Hamill look again. LOL!

14. Dee — 5/17/11 @ 12:18 pm

Love the new look! Another organization to consider is Pantene’s Beautiful Lengths. You look sassy, chic, and happy.

15. Elizabeth Hardwick — 5/17/11 @ 12:20 pm

You look AMAZING!! Love the lowlights!

16. House of Tang — 5/17/11 @ 12:23 pm

OMG has it really been that long since I’ve traipsed in and out of this blog?!
    For the record, I think you should start an Asian Eurythmics cover band. Bangin! Haha, and you look stunning for Asian 29. Teehee.

Question: any suggestions for sightseeing/eating while I’m out in San Francisco next week?

peace+heart.swells

17. Alison — 5/17/11 @ 12:26 pm

I donated 10 inches in March, and I think that was my fourth donation ever. It always feels good.

18. dhanes420 — 5/17/11 @ 12:28 pm

When my wife and I first got married, i begged her to keep her long black hair.

Much sexier now with her short bob-cut; good for you!

19. I love it, Jaden!! So sassy! Sorry I’ll be missing you at BlogHer. :(

20. Ti — 5/17/11 @ 12:33 pm

I felt the tension in this post but you look great and it’s for such a good cause. Love the color too.

21. Sue — 5/17/11 @ 12:44 pm

Love the new look and the highlights are perfect! We are growing my daughter’s hair out for Locks of Love as well and we are almost there.

22. Caitlin — 5/17/11 @ 12:46 pm

It looks GREAT, Jaden! I think it’s super sassy!

23. Jessie — 5/17/11 @ 12:47 pm

Love your new do and what a great place to give your locks too!! Enjoy!!

24. Samantha — 5/17/11 @ 1:17 pm

Good for you!!! I love the cut and color.

25. RisaG — 5/17/11 @ 1:23 pm

Good for you. Sometimes this is exactly what U need to do – do something crazy. It feels good. Makes people a bit edgey but they need it too.

I have that Lazy Monday thing too. I am happy everyone is out of my house and I can lay around without comment – without “get me this and get me that”. I lay around, eat breakfast when I want, do the cleaning and stuff as I want to. If I nap, I do. I try and do as little as possible on Monday’s. The weekends are normally crazy so because of that, I demand a lazy day after that. So, have your Lazy Monday and do what U want to your hair. You deserve it.

26. Carol — 5/17/11 @ 1:34 pm

You look great! I love the cut and the highlights. I’ve donated my hair twice and it’s such a great feeling to donate to Locks of Love. Glad you got some time to unwind and relax.

27. Lina — 5/17/11 @ 1:36 pm

love the new look and good job picking such a vibrant color for the highlights!

28. Kimberly — 5/17/11 @ 1:53 pm

Your hair looks great! So cute and stylish!

BTW, I think Glee does that to people– forget everything and camp out on the couch. :)

29. rita — 5/17/11 @ 1:56 pm

looooove the hair, gorgeous! even more sexier!!!

30. Mandy gross — 5/17/11 @ 2:07 pm

You look great! You hair is beautiful!

31. Jasmine — 5/17/11 @ 2:09 pm

Beautiful haircut! I love it! What fun colors! You look … ZESTY! :)

32. Lorna Schuster — 5/17/11 @ 2:34 pm

My favorite kind of spring cleaning — the makeover! Good for you. You look fab and for a great cause — can’t get much better. :-)

33. Olinda Paul — 5/17/11 @ 2:57 pm

This is what my son is going to do when his hair gets really long. He has enough for at least 3 people. My hair barely makes a 1/2 inch thick ponytail. I guess mine could make bangs or something. Oh, and by the way….you look marvelous.

34. Ann — 5/17/11 @ 3:09 pm

Love your haircut and color!

35. Hope — 5/17/11 @ 4:33 pm

Beautiful!! and what lovely locks you have to donate!!

36. Love the new ‘do! I’ve donated my hair to Locks of Love twice before and I’ll be doing it again this summer. I’m surprised I have the patience to let it grow out since I really can’t stand my hair past my shoulders. LoL

37. Elen — 5/17/11 @ 4:59 pm

Smokin’, Jaden. Smokin’! I love the short. I love the red. I love, love, love the post. February is my month for a reckoning. Always. There is something about 28 days that makes me go nuts. :-D

38. katie b — 5/17/11 @ 5:23 pm

That looks GORGEOUS woman!!! I do that too, always growing it out, chopping it off…. ahhhh to be a woman.

39. Box of Chocolates — 5/17/11 @ 6:23 pm

And you are fabulous!! The new hairstyle works for you.

40. Tamara — 5/17/11 @ 6:33 pm

OK I’m impressed! You are really brave to post pics during the process…lol! Loved the tin foil pic! Really cute after pic though, that’s a great length on you! Tamara @ God’s Perfect Promises

41. jbm — 5/17/11 @ 6:57 pm

Inspiring me to lose the baggage with a shorter do! What salon did the magic? Really love the varied colors- can imagine how much easier it is to manage. Cool that hubby likes it? Your hair rocks!!

42. BlessedBlogger — 5/17/11 @ 10:08 pm

You look great!

I’ve been donating my hair to LOL for years. I learned about it as a kid and felt bad for the kids with no hair especially since mine grew so fast and was rare (naturally red). A couple years ago I was diagnosed with uterine cancer the same day my mom was diagnosed with breast cancer. After that, donating meant even more to me. Sadly, I learned not long after my last donation that LOL wasn’t what I thought it was. They have some…questionable practices. To make an informed decision you should definitely Google them and do a little reading. I’d like to suggest that in the future you donate your hair either directly to the American Cancer Society or to the Pantene Beautiful Lengths program.

43. Jen — 5/17/11 @ 10:45 pm

You are beautiful in spirit and your hair looks great too.
    I am touched by your generosity. May it return to you many times over.

I am the one who was blessed to win the Vita Clay Rice Cooker. I love it!! I have used it nearly every day since receiving it. That kish clay! The flavor! The snappy clean-up!
    I sprayed it with coconut oil before using it the first time and preheated it while preparing the ingredients. It rinsed like a dream using hot water and a dish brush. Can use a bit of vinegar too, if needed.

Thank you again….
    Bless you and yours.

44. Uno — 5/17/11 @ 11:41 pm

wow beautiful!!! :)

45. Lucy — 5/17/11 @ 11:43 pm

Gorgeous! I love it — used to have a guy friend who after a few years said to me, “Do you realize that every time you want to change your life you go and change your hair?” I didn’t realize, but it was absolutely true. And I still do! Kudos to you for donating, that’s such an awesome thing to do.

46. Courtney — 5/17/11 @ 11:43 pm

Love the new cut and color! It looks great, and awesome of you to donate! It’s a great feeling! :)

47. Brooke — 5/17/11 @ 11:49 pm

JADEN!!!!! I LOVE IT! Once again you inspire, inspire, inspire me to just jump and follow my heart and love life in all it’s color. You never cease to amaze. XO

48. Renee — 5/18/11 @ 12:47 am

Your hair looks awesome! Such a great cut! Sometimes a makeover on the outside really helps the inside. Love the highlights too!

49. jas — 5/18/11 @ 1:05 am

wow – this looks totally hot Jaden! I love it! I’ve been wanting to chop my hair off for a while now, but I wanted to get it to a certain length first (so that I too could do the hair flip, sexy beach hair curls look) and then donate it to those who need it more. Plus my hair is actually red (and a red that LOTS of people want – I’m not being egotistical here, I’ve just been told so for a long long time) and virgin hair too – ie no bleaching or dying, unles you count black hair spray for my brothers 1th halloween birthday!

Rock that look and yay for doing something that a gets you outta that funk and that does something for others at the same time!

You go girl (and who cares if you’re 39years young – it’s all how you hold yourself and show yourself to the world :))

50. Nancy Rodriguez — 5/18/11 @ 1:43 am

Jaden,
    You are as beautiful outside as you are inside. I love reading about your family and the new puppy. God Bless.