Hi, I'm Jaden, a professional recipe developer, food columnist and food photographer specializing in fast, fresh and easy recipes for the home cook. Most of my recipes are modern Asian! About meFast, fresh & easy recipes for the home cook.
Tuesday, December 28, 2010
I honestly had trouble naming this dish. Peas and Bacon? Or Bacon and Peas? In the marketing world, I guess you’d have to consider the target market. In my case, it was our family friend, Shawn, who is a true carnivore. 99.6% of his dinner plate is meat. The remaining 0.4% of his plate is the occasional herb garnish on the meat dish that he’s stuck with.
In an effort to get Shawn to eat the peas, I did call this dish Bacon with Peas. And yes, there’s a difference between the word “and” (which sort of implies equal importance of both ingredients) and the word “with” (the peas were more of an accessory to the bacon).
I’ll be completely honest and tell you that while I would have loved to celebrate success with this particular vegetable-fearing adult, it was a no-go for him.
I must say that my kids love Shawn very much, he’s taught the boys how to fish, play catch with the dogs, how to breathe underwater through a regulator, but there’s just one thing…..
….he’s also taught my boys to pick out and only eat the bacon.
3 ingredients. Bacon, frozen peas and onions.
There’s enough fat in the bacon to cook the onion, so no oil needed. In a cold pan, throw in the bacon and onion.
Bacon fat melts, cooks onion.
Dump a bag of frozen peas (no need to defrost).
Cover and when the peas are warmed through, the dish is done.
5 minutes tops.
for Bacon and Peas; Peas and Bacon; Peas with Bacon or Bacon with Peas or just BACON….depending on your target market.
Peas and Bacon Recipe
Don't bother defrosting the peas! They'll warm through in the pan.
Ingredients:3 slices bacon, chopped
1/2 small onion, chopped
1 bag frozen peas
In a frying pan over medium heat, fry bacon and onion until bacon is crisp and onion softened. Add frozen peas, cover and cooked until peas warmed through.