Monday, November 1, 2010

Roasted Cauliflower with Bacon and Garlic

When a recipe calls for bacon, I instinctively double the amount to cook, because in our household, just-cooked bacon sitting on the counter (even those waiting to be incorporated into a yet unfinished dish) is fair game to steal. Even I can’t resist the urge to take a little nibble here and there, and pretty soon there’s no more bacon for the meal.

Cooking an extra batch solves the problem, doubles the delight and allows me to finish the dish properly. The unfortunate consequence is, of course the extra calories consumed, though I think some of you would reason that nibbles and crumbs don’t really count.

This recipe for Roasted Cauliflower with Bacon and Garlic is so simple that I even hesitate to write out a recipe. Toss cauliflower florets with olive oil, bacon and garlic. Roast for 20 minutes at 375F and then season with salt.

The bacon crisps the same time as the cauliflower cooks and the garlic get a nice toasting as well.

If you want, you can even finish it off with a good snowfall of freshly grated parmesan cheese.

But I think it’s perfect as it is.

Roasted Cauliflower Recipe with Bacon and Garlic

Servings: 4 Prep Time: 5 Cook Time: 20
roasted-cauliflower-bacon-recipe-4899.jpg

Ingredients:

1 head cauliflower, cut into small florets
6 cloves garlic, halved
3 strips bacon, cut into bite sized pieces
2 teaspoons olive oil
salt to taste
freshly ground black pepper to taste

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375F. On a baking sheet, toss together the cauliflower, garlic slices, bacon and olive oil. Roast for 20 minutes until bacon is crisp and cauliflower is cooked through. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

77 Responses to “Roasted Cauliflower with Bacon and Garlic”

1. This looks so yummy! I have that same issue with bacon, by the way! It just seems to disappear . . .

2. Tiffany — 11/1/10 @ 12:15 pm

Sounds and looks delish.

Peace, Love and Chocolate
    Tiffany

3. Bacon and garlic! I’m in.

4. Paul Ross — 11/1/10 @ 12:26 pm

Add a nice yogurt curry dipping sauce with that and I would be in heaven

5. That is seriously amazing! I’m pretty sure I could live on that combo!!!

6. Great, have some cauliflower in the fridge. I will try this tonight. I am sure it will taste wonderful. Thanks.

7. Kath — 11/1/10 @ 2:45 pm

Sometimes the simplest things are just the best! Roasted cauliflower, bacon, and garlic sounds perfect! I’ve got all of the ingredients for tonight…thanks for the idea.

8. susie — 11/1/10 @ 2:55 pm

I just made it for a late lunch, to go with the last of my tomatoes from my garden and a piece of leftover green chili quiche. My garlic brown too much and was bitter, next time I will use onion pieces instead!

9. Lauren — 11/1/10 @ 3:26 pm

Sounds Amazing, I am sooo making this tonight! :)

10. Kiki — 11/1/10 @ 4:19 pm

Sounds amazing! I think I might just have to go get some cauliflower in the morning… if I weren’t so worn out from all the baking I’ve done tonight (pumpkin muffins and two kinds of soda bread) I’d be tempted to make it right now!

11. Mia — 11/1/10 @ 4:49 pm

I have a head of cauliflower that was going to be soup. But I don’t have the leeks I need. So I will be making this instead. Although I will make it veggie by leaving out the bacon.

12. Dessert Darling — 11/1/10 @ 6:50 pm

Yum- this looks Amazing!! Love Cauliflower. Love Bacon. ‘Nuf said~

13. Joe M. — 11/1/10 @ 8:14 pm

Would you please clarify the garlic prep? Ingredients say “halved” but photo and directions say “slices”. Can I just smash and roughly chop?

• SteamyKitchen — 11/1/10 @ 8:17 pm

Sorry for confusion. It’s best to halve, chopped would result in burnt garlic. I sliced in photo but prefer halving the cloves.

14. Liz @ Blog is the New Black — 11/1/10 @ 8:39 pm

This looks so tasty!

15. patsyk — 11/1/10 @ 9:04 pm

I love roasted cauliflower… the addition bacon would make it even more irresistable in my house!

16. jay — 11/1/10 @ 9:49 pm

Oh man, I just made this for dinner! Fantastic, and easy! I upped the bacon and onions a bit because I had a GIANT head of cauliflower, and I always burn my garlic, so I roasted a full head of garlic wrapped separately. Tossed it with the rest, topped with fresh parm, and my buddies wolfed it down.

Note: Jayden, this recipe makes an AWESOME soup. I have a broken jaw that’s wired shut and healing, so I’m on liquids only for six weeks. For myself, I just added a portion of this recipe to some homemade veggie stock and a bit of milk, and threw it in the blender for a while. Seriously, it was the best thing I’ve “eaten” in three weeks! Thanks!

17. Chris — 11/1/10 @ 9:52 pm

I am not a big cauliflower fan but bacon and garlic….I’m a slave to them! Nice looking snack or side dish, Jaden.

18. Christina — 11/1/10 @ 10:01 pm

I had tried roasted cauliflower and its real nice. I rubbed in curry powder, salt and olive oil. But will definitely try this recipe of yours one day :) Thanks for the extra recipe to roast cauliflower :)

19. jay — 11/1/10 @ 11:54 pm

My apologies, Jaden! I was so excited about this recipe and having it for dinner tonight, that I spelled your name wrong.

I’ll be making this again really soon. So easy. So tasty.

20. SeattleDee — 11/2/10 @ 12:25 am

i LOVE roasted vegetables with bacon, but sadly the husband won’t eat cauliflower. Even with bacon. Not even dusted with curry powder. Nope, smoky pimenton won’t do it either. So there’s more for me to enjoy, and he gets to shake his head in disbelief.

21. Kat & Kim — 11/2/10 @ 1:00 am

Beautiful how sometimes the most simple things are often the best. What a wonderful combination, will definitely be trying this one.

22. Katrina — 11/2/10 @ 6:42 am

I love roasted cauliflower! This looks amazing.

23. Vivian — 11/2/10 @ 7:49 am

You could put garlic and bacon on an old shoe and I’d probably eat, but cauliflower is probably easier on the teeth ;-). Looks fab, will try it soon.

24. Kim in MD — 11/2/10 @ 11:13 am

You had me at bacon! :-) I can’t wait to try this recipe, Jaden! Thank you!

25. Katie K — 11/2/10 @ 12:25 pm

All my favorite food in one dish. And roasted ! Even better! I’m making this tonight for sure : )

26. sharon — 11/2/10 @ 3:12 pm

I’ve heard all about roasted cauliflower but haven’t tried it yet. Add bacon? Of course I will!

27. Hi Jaden, I just made this recipe and it is SO GOOD! For some reason, mine took way longer than 20 minutes. It was in the oven for an hour. The worst part was smelling that amazing bacon/garlic combo and not being able to dig in!

I added a splash of sherry vinegar at the end for some acidity. The dish is so good. Thank you for the simple recipe!

28. SteamyKitchen — 11/2/10 @ 6:59 pm

Hi Liza! Timing really depends on how small (or large) you cut your florets!

29. Arlene — 11/2/10 @ 7:44 pm

I love roasted cauliflower. I’ll definitely toss in some bacon with tomorrow night’s batch.

30. letitia — 11/2/10 @ 8:43 pm

What do you think of the possibility of adding par-boiled potatoes to the mix…could that work for an aloo gobhi kind of dish, minus curry but add (lots of) bacon?

31. Louise — 11/2/10 @ 10:23 pm

i can only imagine how delicious this is, i love cauliflower and then of course bacon you know… love the color on the cauliflower, perfect

32. Lea Ann — 11/3/10 @ 8:08 am

I hear ya on the extra bacon. Is there anything better than sneaking bites while cooking? I’m a huge fan of cauliflower and can’t wait to give this recipe a try.

33. dana — 11/3/10 @ 12:02 pm

HMMM…I need to add bacon to my oven roasted potatoes. I make the oven roased potatoes with out the bacon. I cut them up, cover them with plastic wrap and microwave them 5 to 7 minutes on high. That way they cook faster in the oven. All they need is bacon.

I could add bacon to the garlic, carrots parsnips onions and potatoes that I roast to go with chicken.

Thanks for the tip about cutting the garlic in half.
    I am so excited. More bacon in my life!!!!
    Dana

34. Macarons — 11/3/10 @ 5:26 pm

I agree with your posting…you can never go wrong with bacon,…morning, lunch, or dinner. This looks like an awesome dish as a side. Should give it a try soon as I LOVE bacon, cauliflower, and garlic.

ryan

35. Interesting! I think I could actually eat cauliflower with bacon. Bacon makes everything better!

36. Mmmm..thanks, this recipe is perfect for those of us doing the low carb/hcg diet! Bacon does a body good-hehe!

37. Peg — 11/3/10 @ 7:30 pm

Can this be made using back bacon? I’ve recently become a big fan of back bacon. Same lovely flavor and less fat. Any suggestions? This recipe looks awesome!

38. Pingback: Roasted Cauliflower with Bacon and Garlic « CB's Cooking Adventures

39. Kiran — 11/4/10 @ 10:19 am

This looks so yummy, delicious and easy! I see myself using it on a bowl of hot soup in the winter. Yum!

40. Pille @ Nami-Nami — 11/8/10 @ 4:23 am

Thank you, Jaden, for a great tip on how to tune the traditional roasted cauliflower recipe! We had this for dinner last night, and everybody enjoyed it a lot!

41. Madeline — 11/10/10 @ 12:19 pm

Oh boy! This looks way yum! It will be on the Thanksgiving menu ;p

42. Mary — 11/11/10 @ 1:16 am

This was delicious!! Had to bake it a bit longer to get the bacon as done as I like it, but DELICIOUS!!!

43. Audrey — 11/15/10 @ 5:48 pm

That sounds absolutely DELICIOUS! I love cauliflower but my kids don’t. They LOVE bacon, though. I have to try this one. Thank you

44. Mrs. Q — 11/15/10 @ 10:14 pm

Hi Jaden,
    I just made this tonight and I LOVED it. Thanks for this easy and delicious recipe!
    Mrs. Q

45. MDaily — 11/22/10 @ 7:05 pm

I bet this would be amazing made with either brussel sprouts or red cabbage. Mmmm..can’t wait to try it!

46. Veronica — 11/24/10 @ 1:30 am

I just had this for dinner tonight. It was really delicious! I probably shouldn’t have eaten it all at once but it was my main meal not a side dish, so I guess it’s okay. This is your first recipe I’ve made and can’t wait to try the many others I’ve bookmarked. Thank you for this recipe!

47. Jon Tanner — 11/24/10 @ 7:03 pm

Just made these last night. Turned out great! Added some sliced shallots to the mix. Everyone agreed it was the best cauliflower dish they ever had.

48. Monica S — 1/2/11 @ 12:56 am

I made this recipe for Thanksgiving and everybody thinks I’m a genius. So, me thinks, why don’t I combine cauliflower with Jaden’s brussels sprouts with cranberry pesto. Well, you guessed it. I’m still a genius. Everyone wants the recipe so I’m directing everyone to the steamykitchen.com. Ugh! The secret is out and everyone will now know who the real genius is.

• SteamyKitchen — 1/2/11 @ 11:37 am

Monica! You are too funny. What a great idea too, using the cranberry pesto for cauliflower!

49. dpast — 3/8/11 @ 7:58 am

I really love cauliflowers and these look greate, I will surely use this recipes thanks alot

50. Pingback: Recipe: Chicken with Cider and Bacon Sauce | The Frugal Flambe