Monday, August 9, 2010

Crispy Roasted Chickpeas (Garbanzo Beans)

Before I even get into this addictive little snackity snack, I just want to say thank you for all the wonderful birthday wishes yesterday on Twitter and Facebook. You all are so thoughtful to send a little message of good wishes. I was sitting at the airport waiting for my flight home and everytime a new message came in, my phone would sound a happy little *ping!* They came so fast and furious, it just about sounded like I was having my own little Vegas jackpot moment on my phone!

I’ve been traveling nonstop for the past 2 weeks and my body sorta feels a little tired and laggy, so I thought I’d share with you a snack that’s healthy (they’re roasted, not fried), easy (5 minutes hands on time), easy (using canned garbanzo beans), addictive (you might as well double the recipe when you’re making it).

The texture of Roasted Chickpeas is surprisingly crispy/crunchy – they make that lovely, loud crunch in your mouth like potato chips. And when you tell people that this recipe starts with 1 can of garbanzo beans, they won’t believe you. Chickpeas and garbanzo beans are the same thing.

Just one warning. as I ate the entire batch by myself in one sitting: These Roasted Chickpeas are really are perfect as a little bar snack to nibble on with beer. And I emphasize nibble and little. As addictive as they are, they’re still beans. And if you eat the entire batch…which is 1 can of garbanzo beans…well, let’s just say I spent a lot of time saying ‘xcuse me.

How to make Roasted Chickpeas/Garbanzo Beans

Four ingredients – salt, seasoning blend of your choice, garbanzo beans and olive oil

First drain the can of garbanzo beans.

You’ll want to rinse the beans for a few seconds to rid the surface of the cloudy, starchy, slippery water it was packaged in.

Lay them out on a baking sheet lined with paper towel.

Pat dry with another paper towel.

You’ll see that some of the beans have a thin skin on them…you can leave them on, or use the paper towel to rub them off.

Discard the skin.

Now they should be completely dry.

Remove the paper towels and now drizzle just a bit of olive oil.

Toss them about to distribute the oil.

Ready for the oven!

400F for 30-40 minutes (I’m on a convection and I used 325F) – until golden brown, crunchy (not soft).

Beautiful.

Season with salt.

Whatever spice blend you want.

That’s it!

Crispy Roasted Chickpeas (Garbanzo Beans)

Servings: 2 (as snack) Prep Time: 5 Cook Time: 30
roasted-chickpeas-garbanzo-beans-3154-2.jpg

I highly recommend doubling a batch of Roasted Chickpeas, the bowl will be empty in 10 minutes! This is a one of the simplest snack recipes - four ingredients and it starts with a can of chickpeas pulled from your pantry. You can use any spice blend - I'm really enjoying Creole or Cajun seasoning, but don't limit yourself there! At the end of the post, I have a list of spice/fresh herb combinations that you can use.

Ingredients:

One 15-ounce can garbanzo beans
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
Salt
Spice blend of your choice

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 400F.

2. Drain the can of garbanzo beans in a strainer and rinse with water for a few seconds to clean off the beans. Shake and tap the strainer to rid of excess water. Lay paper towl on a baking sheet, and spread the beans over. Use another paper towel to gently press and absorb the water on the beans. Roll the beans around with the paper towel to also remove the thin skin from any of the beans. Discard the skins and the paper towels.

3. Drizzle the olive oil over the beans and use your hands or a spatula to toss around and coat. Roast for 30-40 minutes until the beans are a deep golden brown and crunchy. Make sure that the beans do not burn.

4. Season with salt and spice blend.

More Roasted Chickpeas/Garbanzo Beans!

We Are Not Martha – this is where I first saw the recipe! They use a Moroccan spice blend
Kalyn’s Kitchen
: Moroccan spices
My Man’s Belly: garlic powder, chile powder
Chez Us: curry powder
The Kitchn: list of 15 different flavors
Family Fresh Cooking serves ‘em up in a cute popcorn container
Bitchin Camera: garam masala
Big Red Kitchen: cumin, cinnamon, smoked paprika
Anne’s Food: cayenne, cumin
Life’s Ambrosia: garlic seasoned

338 Responses to “Crispy Roasted Chickpeas (Garbanzo Beans)”

1. Laura — 8/16/13 @ 1:09 am

I’m baking mine as we speak! I keep making sure to stir them so they don’t burn, but it almost seems I didn’t use enough olive oil :/ I’m still unsure on what to season it with because there are so many choices!! Thanks for the recipe :)

2. Diane — 8/19/13 @ 6:28 pm

I’m trying to go all fresh, so can I make this wonderful dish using fresh garbanzo beans instead of from a can? If so, do I have to soak them first – and do I have to maybe boil them first, too? Help help!
    Thank you, My hairdresser shared this dish with me when she made it (using canned garbanzos) and it was so fantastic!!!!!!!

• Tom — 1/19/14 @ 1:01 am

I use dried garbanzo beans. I soak 1 cup beans in water over might. 1 cup dried beans equals 2 cups after soaking. Cook beans for about 10-15 minutes in a sauce pan on a low boil. Taste to see if tender inside. You don’t want them too soft.

3. John — 8/22/13 @ 2:41 am

Diane,

I cooked dried garbanzo beans (soaking first) and roasted them. They turned out great!

4. Diane Schuch — 8/22/13 @ 1:43 pm

Thank you so much for answering my question. I just love this snack.

5. Angie — 8/30/13 @ 9:54 am

Can you make these ahead & store for lunches? I am a snacker & this is ideal! Love me some chickpeas in other receipe’s!

6. Kathy — 9/7/13 @ 7:56 pm

Oohhhh! You need a bigger warning on these! My tummy hurts, but I can’t stop eating them. I used rosemary and salt for seasonings, and they are soooo goood!

7. celia — 9/9/13 @ 11:51 am

How do you store the leftovers? Canister or fridge

8. Pingback: Spilling the beans on a salty and savory snack | Living A la Mode

9. Jen — 9/22/13 @ 10:51 am

Did you enter convect 400 or convect 325?

10. Maura — 9/24/13 @ 9:02 pm

Do you soak, then boil, then dry and bake dried (not canned) garbanzos?
    Or do you just soak, rinse, pat dry, and bake them?
    Thanks. I have a can in oven but would like to make larger batch for a party and use dried not canned.

• SteamyKitchen — 9/25/13 @ 9:25 am

I haven’t made them with dried garbanzo beans. But if you were going to try it, yes – soak, boil, lay out to dry and then bake.

11. terri — 9/29/13 @ 5:20 pm

i made these today for my 3 year old triplets. i used garlic powder and cumin and planned to toss them into a salad. They were gobbled up immediately & never even made it off the cookie sheet! thanks so much it is so hard to get them to eat new protein sources!

12. Pingback: ON THE BAR * SALTY SNACKS | A Sensible Habit

13. Judy — 10/5/13 @ 10:05 pm

These are so good they don’t even need seasoning !

14. Pingback: Gluten Free Recipe Favorites

15. Tanya Schneider — 10/31/13 @ 11:57 pm

Do you have the nutrition on these? They look delicious but I have strict rules on food content. Thanks.

• ROSE — 11/14/13 @ 6:44 pm

Tanya, I am a Mom to 3 (all grown up now) but when I was alone raising them, I took a nutrition class. These and popcorn were listed as the most healthy snacks for kids. They are rich in fiber and protien, and contain 0 sugar, 0 cholesterol, 0 sarurated fat, 200 mg sodium, I used to use them in salads and you can mash them and make a sandwich or spread or even dipping sauces, I forgot a lot of the recipes I had, but they are inexpensive and I have just started using them again, never roasted them, so gonna try the above recipe. Do a little more recipe (as am I ) and see what you can find!! Hope this helped!

• cory — 3/7/14 @ 10:57 pm

Corn is truly not that healthy – due to the GMO factor, much like wheat…

• Jeremy — 3/29/14 @ 7:53 pm

Organic is never GMO and wheat has always been non GMO until just recently.

• Awaiting — 4/13/14 @ 6:46 pm

You’re use of non-GMO is relative. Corn is in fact GMO the same as the organic bananas you find in store.

Anyone claiming GMO issues needs to actually look at the history of the food they are eating, most of it has been breed specifically to be eaten. Just because we now have the technology to do it in a lab and create safer products does not always mean the sky is falling.

• klw — 4/20/14 @ 4:51 pm

I’m not sure if this is true everywhere, but I think in Canada and USA organic doesn’t necessarily mean non-GMO. They are unrelated as far as regulations are concerned. Organic refers to the farming practices used. You can easily have GMO foods produced and labelled under organic. It’s important that it states that it’s non-GMO certified. I did a bit of research because I was wondering if they were overlapping. They are not.

• Alice — 4/22/14 @ 4:28 pm

To klw

I was concerned about what you stated re: GMO and organic, and someone posted this so now I know organics do not contain GMO products.
            “GMO’s are specifically excluded from USDA National Organic Program participants. One link is here: http://www.ams.usda.gov/AMSv1.0/getfile… or you can also look up the Code of the Federal Register (where all federal laws are) 7 CFR 205 which is the national organic program rules and regulations for USDA certified organic production practices – livestock and crops.”

16. Claire — 11/18/13 @ 6:03 pm

I’ve been making these forever! I just popped mine in the oven and wondered if there were any other seasonings out there I hadn’t thought of yet. This (double) batch in the oven right now is seasoned with one packet of the chicken flavoring from Ramen noodles (I like mine plain) and some salt. I LOVE the creole, though! I put mine in a Tupperware with a lid and evenly distribute the oil and seasoning BEFORE baking, though. I also toss mine in the middle and check them because I don’t like them as crunchy as most. The boys in this house love it! I’d also advise using them in lieu of croutons in a salad, seasoning to compliment your favorite dressing(:

17. surekha — 11/20/13 @ 12:50 am

if i am not using canned garbanzo beans then how to prepare canned garbanzo beans please advice
    if possible pl reply asap

18. Pingback: Many Reasons to Eat Chickpeas | Whole Real FoodWhole Real Food

19. Tyra — 12/6/13 @ 1:39 pm

Put these in the food processor and use in place of bread crumbs! Works great!

20. Pingback: Roasted Chickpeas | Clara Persis

21. Nuria Miller — 12/10/13 @ 1:30 pm

I just made this recipe and I love them. I used the creole seasoning in half for me and a kettle corn mix in the other one for my kiddos. I think they will be a heat waiting for them to cool down, but so far they taste delicious.
    I had to leave them in the oven 15 minutes more, maybe because I made 2 cans, but they are crunchy !!!

22. Erin — 12/10/13 @ 3:55 pm

I made these, left them in an addition 10 minutes, and the insides were still soft–guess I didn’t leave them in long enough? Too much olive oil?

• SarahO — 4/8/14 @ 8:43 pm

Mine are currently in the oven (40 minutes) and still soft– chewy texture. anyone else have this issue?

• SteamyKitchen — 4/9/14 @ 10:10 am

Sarah- how did they turn out? Mine have always crisped. Next time try for a little longer in oven?

23. zia — 12/11/13 @ 4:51 pm

I was wondering if everyone is seasoning before or after putting them in the oven?

24. Pingback: Fit-spiration Friday: Crispy Roasted Chickpeas | Wedding Party

25. Chyela — 1/10/14 @ 7:25 pm

I had a bag of dried Garbanzo beans sitting in my pantry for months and I was so glad when I found your recipe. Tried it and came out great! LOVE it and have to make it again soon and of course I had to write about it too : ) Thank you so much, Jaden!

26. Pingback: 5 Ways to Build Muscle with a Vegetarian Diet | Superhero Health

27. Laurie — 2/2/14 @ 2:55 pm

I made the garbanzo beans in the oven, but they weren’t crispy like everyone says. I used the seasoning with the agave and so the flavor was good, but they weren’t crispy. Any ideas why they turned out this way?

• SteamyKitchen — 2/3/14 @ 6:38 am

Hmmm – here are the variables:
      1) beans too wet 2) not enough oil 3) oven not hot enough 4) not enough time.
      Everyone’s oven is different – try increasing oven 25 degrees and roast until crisp (I’d check the beans periodically and just remove them when they are exactly how you like them!)

• Ms Nan — 2/26/14 @ 1:41 am

After I strain them and dry them with paper towels I put them in a plastic bag, put 1 tsp of corn startch and shake bag. It helps dry them a little more, then I pour the olive oil in the bag and roll them around to get the oil on all of them, then pour onto pan and bake. I would recommend cooking longer but not turning up oven, sometimes they get too brown that way.

28. micaela — 2/5/14 @ 3:27 pm

I use 3 or 4 cans of chickpeas at a time (my kids eat these like they are candy) and 1 tablespoon of each of the seasonings. If you can leave them out to dry for a few hours before covering them in olive oil and spices you will get more of a crunch. You can also take them out of the oven at 30 mins and stir them around and let them cool for a couple mins before putting them back in to increase crunch factor as well as leaving the skins on (have made them with and without skins but prefer the crispiness of the skins). keep checking them after that so they dont burn which can happen quickly. they can be still soft if not cooked long enough and burn if cooked to long.

29. Chuck Matthews — 2/6/14 @ 4:30 pm

Hi Jaden,

I’m thinking about making this tonight; I’m sure it will be great. Happy belated birthday! Also, I saw that David Leite (from Leite’s Culinaria) is offering one of your books as a sweepstakes prize. I think that will drive more traffic to your website.

Regards,
    Chuck

30. Pingback: Risotto with Roasted Chickpeas, Mushrooms & Kale {Meatless Monday}

31. Pingback: Risotto with Roasted Chickpeas, Mushrooms & Kale {Meatless Monday Recipe} | Kate's Healthy Living

32. Pingback: Coconut Curry Quinoa with Roasted Chickpeas and Vegetables | Dine with Deja

33. Hey there. Well, I was looking through my pantry on this snowy Jersey day and saw a can of chickpeas. I remembered seeming this post when I’d previously visited your site. I made it just as you posted with some Creole seasoning and it was fantastic. My husband and I finished are healthy snack in about 5 minutes.
    Thank you!
    Teresa

34. Pingback: Healthy snack recipes for roasted chickpeas | Boston Bakes for Breast Cancer

35. John W Beck — 2/25/14 @ 12:49 am

I am not in any way affiliated with this company, but as a 20+ year vegan I do use their anti-gas product many days a week. Makes it easier for me to eat what I like and not have to spend most of my days keeping mostly to myself. http://www.bean-zyme.com/ – John W Beck

36. Pingback: Roasted Edamame and Chickpeas | WreckingRoutine

37. Pingback: 15 Days of Intentional Summer Toddler Activities {Day 8}

38. Pingback: Crispy Roasted Chickpeas | Rachel's blog

39. Pingback: Crunchy Chickpeas | Keep Your Diet Real

40. Jan — 4/1/14 @ 1:53 pm

Very goog. But the peas shrunk in size????Any reason

41. SaraK — 4/2/14 @ 1:16 am

“well, let’s just say I spent a lot of time saying ‘xcuse me.”

I love the subtle way you advise us to buy BeanO. LOL

42. G.B. Adams — 4/7/14 @ 6:27 am

If you rehydrate a bag of dried chickpeas, you will find the flavor much superior to the canned ones….and a lot cheaper. Put them in a ziplock & freeze so they are always on hand. 1 can = 1 1/2 cups of rehydrated beans.

43. Dorothy — 4/7/14 @ 7:51 pm

I just made mine with Cajun seasoning and they are great! I’m trying to get my three year old to eat healthier, and I am trilled that she likes them! They do brown and crisp up right at the end, so I was checking them every one minute at the end. The darker, the crispier.

44. Gretchen McClain — 4/8/14 @ 6:10 pm

I finally tried this today and they are delicious! Thanks so much for sharing the recipe!

45. Destiny Ransom — 4/12/14 @ 8:48 pm

I just popped some of these in the oven for the first time. I’m excited! Thank you for sharing!

46. this is so cute. ohh i love this..got to have some.

47. Lori Neal — 5/14/14 @ 5:05 pm

my dad was Italian and he made these when I was growing up, the only thing different was he used honey and sprinkled them with sprinkles and he called them “Honey Balls” They were SOOOOOO GOOD!

48. Lisa — 5/23/14 @ 12:32 am

Can you do this with fresh green garbanzos?

49. Maggie — 5/26/14 @ 7:52 am

These turned out great! Thank yoou!!

50. Pingback: carrot & avocado salad with crispy chickpeas and cashews | Simmer Seasonal Recipes